MS Office desktop icons move after I modify and save them.

Anonymous
2010-02-25T23:36:10+00:00

My MS word and excel documents that I have on the upper right hand area of my desktop move after I modify and save them.  If I open them and don't save them nothing happens, but if I modify and save them, they move to the far left aligned with other icons.  They do not appear to be temp or hidden files.  They just move to the far left arranged with other icons.  I want to modify and save them and the files to stay in the upper right hand area...  Help???

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-26T17:12:02+00:00

Turn off the “Auto Arrange” option for icons on the desktop, and then place icons on the desktop where you want them.

To turnoff the “Auto Arrange” feature,

For windows 7:

Right click a blank area on the desktop and select View and uncheck Auto arrange icons.

For Windows XP:

Right-click a blank area on the desktop, and then click Arrange Icons. Click the command that indicates how you want to arrange the icons (by Name, by Type, and so on), uncheck Auto Arrange.


Niranjan I K Microsoft Answers Support Engineer.

• We appreciate your participation in MS Forums, Help us understand your needs better. To share your valuable Feedback please Click here.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-09-07T01:21:54+00:00

    This worked for me!  Thanks!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-08-02T03:09:48+00:00

    Chiming in with the same issue..... very annoying!

    Just got  my first computer with Windows 7. What a bummer!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-07-28T21:35:02+00:00

    We have quite a few users with this exact problem.  We've tried all the suggestions for settings plus a registry tweak from another MS forum to no avail.

    Our users are getting upset.  We need an answer that works.   Maybe these clues will help.

    They are all using Windows 7 Professional 32-bit. 

    The problem started when we upgraded them from Office 2003 Professional to Office 2010 Professional Plus.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-07-04T00:38:22+00:00

    This is absolute shyte. The "answer" does not work. I swear to Almighty Living God that I will never buy Windows again. Windows ME, Windows Vista, and now Windows 7 with small irritating features that make me furious day in and day out.

    We ALL know about "auto align" and "auto arrange". This is NOT the issue.

    Solution please.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments