MS Office desktop icons move after I modify and save them.

Anonymous
2010-02-25T23:36:10+00:00

My MS word and excel documents that I have on the upper right hand area of my desktop move after I modify and save them.  If I open them and don't save them nothing happens, but if I modify and save them, they move to the far left aligned with other icons.  They do not appear to be temp or hidden files.  They just move to the far left arranged with other icons.  I want to modify and save them and the files to stay in the upper right hand area...  Help???

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-26T17:12:02+00:00

Turn off the “Auto Arrange” option for icons on the desktop, and then place icons on the desktop where you want them.

To turnoff the “Auto Arrange” feature,

For windows 7:

Right click a blank area on the desktop and select View and uncheck Auto arrange icons.

For Windows XP:

Right-click a blank area on the desktop, and then click Arrange Icons. Click the command that indicates how you want to arrange the icons (by Name, by Type, and so on), uncheck Auto Arrange.


Niranjan I K Microsoft Answers Support Engineer.

• We appreciate your participation in MS Forums, Help us understand your needs better. To share your valuable Feedback please Click here.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-10-07T19:04:36+00:00

    I have this same problem with all of my Windows7 Office 2007 machines.  It is really annoying.  The issue has nothing to do with "auto-arrange", "align by", or "sort".

    Microsoft office apps move their icons on save, all other apps save and retain their desktop position.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-10-04T08:46:34+00:00

    Still none of these make a difference and for me I have two machines running windows 7. only one has this problem and its annoying. only when modifying and saving a msoffice doc do they move

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-06-04T20:52:38+00:00

    On Fri, 4 Jun 2010 19:40:44 +0000, pyrluvr wrote:

    None of these suggestions work.  I recently received a Windows 7 machine at work, and every time I modify an excel or word document from my desktop it moves it to the right.  Very frustrating.  To save you plenty of time in asking "no" auto arrange is not checked, "no" auto grid is not checked.  I have been searching for a solution for over a week.  Also, I do not have the icons arranged, by Name, Type etc.... not a NOVICE user....  that is why this is frustrating in not finding a work around.

    If you perform a clean boot, does that make a difference?

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135


    Gérard

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-06-04T19:40:44+00:00

    None of these suggestions work.  I recently received a Windows 7 machine at work, and every time I modify an excel or word document from my desktop it moves it to the right.  Very frustrating.  To save you plenty of time in asking "no" auto arrange is not checked, "no" auto grid is not checked.  I have been searching for a solution for over a week.  Also, I do not have the icons arranged, by Name, Type etc.... not a NOVICE user....  that is why this is frustrating in not finding a work around.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments