MS Office desktop icons move after I modify and save them.

Anonymous
2010-02-25T23:36:10+00:00

My MS word and excel documents that I have on the upper right hand area of my desktop move after I modify and save them.  If I open them and don't save them nothing happens, but if I modify and save them, they move to the far left aligned with other icons.  They do not appear to be temp or hidden files.  They just move to the far left arranged with other icons.  I want to modify and save them and the files to stay in the upper right hand area...  Help???

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-26T17:12:02+00:00

Turn off the “Auto Arrange” option for icons on the desktop, and then place icons on the desktop where you want them.

To turnoff the “Auto Arrange” feature,

For windows 7:

Right click a blank area on the desktop and select View and uncheck Auto arrange icons.

For Windows XP:

Right-click a blank area on the desktop, and then click Arrange Icons. Click the command that indicates how you want to arrange the icons (by Name, by Type, and so on), uncheck Auto Arrange.


Niranjan I K Microsoft Answers Support Engineer.

• We appreciate your participation in MS Forums, Help us understand your needs better. To share your valuable Feedback please Click here.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-06-08T18:59:11+00:00

    It seems apparently true that if you make them all shortcuts, they won't move.  Is that considered the ONLY solution?  Really?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-06-08T18:56:34+00:00

    I have the same Windows 7 problem.  I am MCSE and I know how to work on PCs.  None of the above things have worked and I have not seen any recent posts.  ANYONE have a clue as to how to fix this? My guess is that it will require editing the registry, which I have no problem doing, but........I would think and hope there is an easy fix for this.  Microsoft?????

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-09-07T01:21:54+00:00

    This worked for me!  Thanks!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-08-02T03:09:48+00:00

    Chiming in with the same issue..... very annoying!

    Just got  my first computer with Windows 7. What a bummer!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments