MS Office desktop icons move after I modify and save them.

Anonymous
2010-02-25T23:36:10+00:00

My MS word and excel documents that I have on the upper right hand area of my desktop move after I modify and save them.  If I open them and don't save them nothing happens, but if I modify and save them, they move to the far left aligned with other icons.  They do not appear to be temp or hidden files.  They just move to the far left arranged with other icons.  I want to modify and save them and the files to stay in the upper right hand area...  Help???

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-26T17:12:02+00:00

Turn off the “Auto Arrange” option for icons on the desktop, and then place icons on the desktop where you want them.

To turnoff the “Auto Arrange” feature,

For windows 7:

Right click a blank area on the desktop and select View and uncheck Auto arrange icons.

For Windows XP:

Right-click a blank area on the desktop, and then click Arrange Icons. Click the command that indicates how you want to arrange the icons (by Name, by Type, and so on), uncheck Auto Arrange.


Niranjan I K Microsoft Answers Support Engineer.

• We appreciate your participation in MS Forums, Help us understand your needs better. To share your valuable Feedback please Click here.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2017-08-29T16:50:37+00:00

    I found a suggestion for Windows 7 that said to go under Change Desktop Icons under Personalization, and unclick "allow themes to change desktop icons."  I did so and it has worked so far for me.  I don't know if this will help, but I thought I'd pass along the information.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-08-02T19:48:00+00:00

    Only fix that came close to solving it for me, was to put everything in My Documents, and have shortcuts on the desktop. Shortcuts don't seem to change position

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-01-28T15:34:02+00:00

    Right click, view uncheck auto arrange does not work in windows 7.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments