How to open MDI files in Office 2010

Anonymous
2010-03-16T05:36:16+00:00

Open the mdi file use Microsoft Document Image in Office 2003, but I can't find Microsoft Document Image to open mdi file in office 2010 ,help me!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-02-17T04:06:02+00:00

Now it's Feb 2012 and people's prior posts are still helping others!

I went to the Microsoft article 982760 (supplied by Tony Mac. on July 29, 2011 and Debbie MFST on July 28 2011) and - after skim reading it - wondered if I could instead use my disk for MS Office 2003

(only uninstalled it yesterday, to free up conflicts with my newly loaded MS Office 2010) ...... 

to get the 'missing' and needed Microsoft Office Document Imaging back.

And it worked.   :-)

Follow the same logic (equivalent steps) about marking components on the disk as "unavailable"  except your starting point with this WON'T be Sharepoint Designer, Office Shared Features and Office Tools - just mark all the MS Office 2003 components like Word, Excel etc as "unavailable" and when you expand the Office Tools after marking the Tools as "unavailable" from then on you will be using the exact same steps ie the down arrow for the Microsoft Document Imaging and selecting Run all from my computer.  This will override the choice of "not available"  for Office Tools in regard to JUST the MDI software.

This means people who were using 2003 don't have to download a big file with the package for the Sharepoint Designer 2007 - just to install a small part of it.

It's not clear to me whether MSO 2007 had the MODI software in it....I only ever used some bits of a Trial version of MSO 2007.  If it did....maybe those people who "gained" their MODI that way could also use their disk made defunct when they installed MSO 2010?

Hope all this makes some sense (it only will if you have looked at the article 982760, and perhaps printed it off).  And helps.....someone else like me who was cheesed off to find that going over to MSO 2010 of course has it's downsides!

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-07-28T15:40:58+00:00

Hello all,

Microsoft has updated KB982760 to provide additional details regarding MODI.

Please see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982760 for information on installing MODI with Office 2010.

Hope that helps...

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-07-27T18:35:07+00:00

Glad this helped you. Microsoft updated this article to include the above steps in Method 1: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982760

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-12-01T08:58:59+00:00

    I finally took the plunge and upgraded XP to Win 7 and Office from 2003 to 2010. I have a lot of stuff in MDI format and boy am I unpleasantly surprised by Microsoft right now for not including a reader in Office 2010 or at least a downloadable utility on the side. How in the world could anyone at Microsoft make a decision to leave us stranded high and dry like that? Incredible!

    It's evidently definitely not safe to trust ones documents to Microsoft proprietary formats. PDF is the format of choice from now on for sure.

    Agreed. Microsoft Offfice 2007 and 2010 have a Microsoft proprietary format known as XPS which is installed as a virtual printer like it did with MDI.

    I've learned my lession with the MDI fiasco to not trust the XPS format. I'm standardizing to TIFF or PDF. I've installed relatively low cost virtual printer drivers that produce in either of these formats.

    Someone told me that Adobe Acrobat 9 can import XPS format files. I or maybe someone may want to confirm.

    (I'm still not trusting the XPS format until major industries adopts it. Then it will force Microsoft to pause before dropping this format anytime soon -- maybe!)

    I hope that the Adobe people would create an MDI importer into Acrobat as well.  Maybe I'll go to Adobe.com and add comments to make this an enhancement. Maybe we can still recover these MDI documents if Adobe can be encouraged to help users recover their MDI documents from this Microsoft generated problem. If so, I think this will further create an even greater following for the PDF format.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-12-04T19:37:30+00:00

    Bugysoft has a free, stripped down version of their MDI Converter on their website.  This will at least allow you to view your MDI files, with the option to upgrade if you require more features, i.e. printing, converting, and batch conversions.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments