Embedded Excel 2007 workbook in Word 2007 document won't open. "Excel is not installed" error.

Anonymous
2010-03-08T20:45:01+00:00

I've seen this same problem frequently on other message boards and there has never been a solution, so I'm hoping that Microsoft is aware of it (they should be) and can address it definitively.

I have a Word 2007 document with an embedded Excel 2007 spreadsheet.  When I attempt to open the spreadsheet I get the message: "The program used to create this object is Excel.  That program is not installed on your computer. To edit this object, you must install a program that can open the object.".  Excel is in fact installed.  If I have Excel closed when I attempt to open the embedded spreadsheet then Excel actually opens, but then it does not open the embedded workbook and Word immediately gives the above message after Excel opens.

This is the same problem as is addressed in KB article 960806, except that I do not have "SQL Server 2008 Data Mining Add-ins for Office 2007" installed

I have run MS Office Diagnostics and no errors were reported. 

I have "Repaired" the installation from add/remove programs.  After I did this the embedded workbook appeared as a picture in the document and I couldn't even attempt to open it.

I have tried deselecting "ignore DDE" in Excel Options > Advanced > General

I have tried converting the embedding object to a binary object and back again.

The embedded workbook is a macro-enabled workbook, I don't know if it also happens for non-macro-enabled workbooks.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-02-11T04:22:08+00:00

Had the same issue; disabling Goodle Cloud Connect add-in in both Word and Excel solved it for me. It might help to try disabling all the installed add-ins.

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-02-05T17:36:48+00:00

    The main reason is that the narrow-minded guys from Microsoft all work in a garage, a garage has no windows thus they don't have the foggiest idea of what happens in the outside world!!

    If they where real good programmers they should know what users really do with their programmes and gave them a real correct message back.

    This error message should never be shown the way it looks now.

    Suffe eikels!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-04-23T22:02:19+00:00

    guys thats work for me

    Word option - Advanced - Show document content - Show field code instead of their values ( uncheck this option) enjoy

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-01-24T17:44:00+00:00

    We are having this issue on computers that were upgraded to Windows 7--the embedded excel will not open--says the program is missing even though the program is installed. It opens fine on computers that were purchased with Windows 7 on them and running Office 2010. The file is a docx. When you right click on the upgraded computer to convert, we get the message detailed above: The server application, source file, or item cannot be found. Make sure the application is properly installed, and that it has not been deleted, moved, renamed, or blocked by policy"  But if you open the file on the Windows 7 machine that wasn't upgraded, you can convert it to binary, macro-enabled, etc. Very weird.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-07-10T22:51:27+00:00

    Below I wrote the following ...

    I found that is I deleted C:\Users<my user name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART\PERSONAL.XLSB (personal workbook for personal macros) that I do not have the problem.

    This is for Office 2007 SP3 on Vista.

    Somebody wrote something else about a Google Cloud add-in ...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments