Cannot see worksheet tabs in Excel 2010

Anonymous
2010-03-15T08:07:33+00:00

Hi,

I am using Windows 7 and Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 (Beta). I am unable to view worksheet tabs in a particular Excel document. From my research on the internet, I have discovered that it is a resolution issue - the person creating the document used a resolution higher than my maximum resolution. I have tried all the Microsoft suggestions - arranging windows, ensuring 'show tabs' are selected etc. Has anyone managed to overcome this? Or does anyone know of a shortcut to unhook a worksheet from it's container so it can be resized independently?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-03-18T15:28:48+00:00

Hi BB,

**"Is the workbook protected by any chance? If yes then unprotect the workbook to see if the issue is resolved"**Yes, this workbook is protected, and unprotecting it is not an option. I would like a solution that does not involve saving a copy of the workbook.

**"Does this happen with all workbooks or only some of them"**Details on how to reproduce this bug later

**"What happens if you start excel in safe mode and then open these files?"**Not feasible as a permanent solution

**"Does this workbook have macros?"**No

**"Are you able to see the sheet tabs when you create a blank / new workbook?"**Yes

**"Check if the following..."**Already done prior to posting this article.

**How to reproduce this bug:**This bug is basically a resolution error:

  1. Select the maximum resolution on your PC (e.g. 1280 x 1024)
  2. Open Excel and create a workbook with at least 2 worksheets
  3. Save this worksheet and close excel
  4. Select the minimum resolution on your PC (e.g. 800 x 600)
  5. Open the saved Excel document you created in step 2

NB: The greater the resolution difference, the harder it is to solve this error. Some times you can solve this error with the 'Arrange Windows' button if the resolution difference isn't too large.

If one had a shortcut to unhook the worksheet from the main Excel window, it would be easier to solve.

P.S.: Microsoft Answer Quote absolutely SUCKS

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-05-03T20:27:57+00:00

    Hi,

    I am using Windows 7 and Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 (Beta). I am unable to view worksheet tabs in a particular Excel document. From my research on the internet, I have discovered that it is a resolution issue - the person creating the document used a resolution higher than my maximum resolution. I have tried all the Microsoft suggestions - arranging windows, ensuring 'show tabs' are selected etc. Has anyone managed to overcome this? Or does anyone know of a shortcut to unhook a worksheet from it's container so it can be resized independently?

    I have used this solution, but it is a pain in the b---- to have to be doing this all the time. Is there a better solution that causes the tabs to REMAIN visible?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-04-30T20:48:26+00:00

    This one worked !!! Kudos to BLACK BARON

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-04-26T21:42:34+00:00

    whatever hjas happened to ms, excel in particular? why should we jump through hoops and contortions  to do what we have done for decades before? None of the answers given work in my case. MS: own up! you scewed up! Give us a fix on this particular bug and the many many others! I just want to see my tabs fercryin out loud!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-04-02T21:17:46+00:00

    Works perfect.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments