How do I keep the ribbon always visible?

Anonymous
2011-03-16T22:54:08+00:00

When I am in a Word doc and want to, e.g., change the font, I have to click on Home, then font size.  Afterwards, the ribbon disappears.  If I want to do any other formatting, I again have to click on Home, etc.

When I first started using Word in 2010 Starter, the ribbon was always visible; I would like that again.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Jay Freedman 208.3K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2011-03-17T00:38:03+00:00

The ribbon is "minimized". There are three ways to "unminimize" it:

  • Press Ctrl+F1 (this is an on/off toggle).
  • Double-click any of the tabs (Home, View, etc.).
  • Right-click any of the tabs or the Quick Access Toolbar and uncheck "Minimize the ribbon". Edit: In Office 2013, there's an additional way. The icon (shown below by the red box) in the top right corner of the window has a dropdown menu. Click Show Tabs and Commands to see the full ribbon. The Auto-hide Ribbon choice is new -- it hides both the tabs and the buttons to give you the most reading/editing space for the document. To show the ribbon temporarily, click once at the top of the window. As soon as you click a button on the ribbon, it will hide again. To turn this off, click the icon and click one of the other two choices.

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Jay Freedman 208.3K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2012-03-27T20:23:12+00:00

If you expand the ribbon by any of the methods I listed above, it should stay expanded until you do the reverse of one of those methods. The state should stay unchanged even if you shut down and restart Word or Windows.

If that isn't happening for you, there are a couple of possibilities: There may be an add-in that's improperly changing the ribbon's visibility, or there may be a problem in the registry that prevents the ribbon's state from being saved. Neither of these is very likely.

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-09-21T20:03:18+00:00

    Ctrl-F1 does nothing.

    Double-click on tabs does nothing, as there are no tabs.

    Clicking a Quick Access Toolbar does nothing, as there is no Quick Access Toolbar.

    How do I get the menu back now?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-05-24T07:20:44+00:00

    Thanks buddy :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-04-11T16:00:46+00:00

    I don't want to have to "Un-minimize" the dam ribbon. This is another stupid MS change to Office that drives me nuts. And the Ribbon in Outlook 2016 DOES NOT STAY UN-MINIMIZED when you select it - it disappears immediately after you use a command - a royal PITA!

    WHY DO ALMOST ALL SOFTWARE COMPANIES INSIST ON MAKING USERS RELEARN THE PROGRAM EVERY TIME THEY COME OUT WITH A DOWNGRADE, WHICH IS WHAT THIS STUPID DECISION IS?

    I have a 30" monitor SO I DON:T NEED ANY MORE ROOM!

    I have to use a PC for work but whenever I can I use my MAC with OFFICE 2011 because IT DOESN'T MINIMIZE the PITA ribbon and I have NO INTENTIONS of installing any new version of Office on my Mac!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments