A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
In table properties, make sure the table wrapping is set to None.
Pam
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Recently I've moved over to office 2010, having been an Office user for 10+ years. My issue is with Word 2010. I'm ok in Word, no expert but get by and can do what I need to. I've never had the below issues before and have used this function many times on Word 2007.
When I am using tables I have selected the 'repeat header rows' function. However it is not working. Anotherwords, my header rows are not repeating on subsequent pages.
Also, when using tables, I have de-selected (from table properties) 'allow rows to break across pages', so that my rows shouldnt be split across 2 pages. However, this also is not working.
There are 5 tables in the document, all the tables were 'split' at some point via the 'split tables' function. I created the table from copying and pasting lines from a powerpoint document, then converting that text in to one table, then creating columns to the left and right of it and have hand typed the column headings.
I have tried the following, to no avail:
Is this a problem with Word 2010?
Help would be appreciated.
A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
In table properties, make sure the table wrapping is set to None.
Pam
With the selection in the problem table (I got lost reading your post), go to Table Tools>Layout>Properties and on the Table tab of the Table Properties dialog, make sure that the Text wrapping is set to None.
Recently I've moved over to office 2010, having been an Office user for 10+ years. My issue is with Word 2010. I'm ok in Word, no expert but get by and can do what I need to. I've never had the below issues before and have used this function many times on Word 2007.
When I am using tables I have selected the 'repeat header rows' function. However it is not working. Anotherwords, my header rows are not repeating on subsequent pages.
I have tested ‘repeat header rows’ in my table. It works! This is how I did:
1. Create table in your own style. (Eg: Insert à Table à(Click the small down arrow head) à Choose the number of Columns and Rows you desire.
2. Choose the first row (the header) à Right click and choose ‘Properties’ (last item).
3. In the new dialog box appear, choose ‘Rows’ tab (2 one). You’ll able to see ‘Option’ in the 2 group. Tick the second check box, ‘Repeat as header at the top of each page.
Now, when your table expand to next pages, the first row will be treated as header. Captions you typed earlier will appear automatically at the top of the page.
Also, when using tables, I have de-selected (from table properties) 'allow rows to break across pages', so that my rows shouldnt be split across 2 pages. However, this also is not working.
Not tested. But, my experience might be helpful.
What you have done only part of the procedure. You should do this procedure (I think).
At top left corner, when you hower your mouse pointer, you will see a small grey box with four corner arrow. Right-click on it, to see the short-cut menu. Down to it, you will see ‘Auto fit’ command. Click on ‘Auto fit to window’
Don’t worry even if it doesn’t work. You still can work manually on it. Thease are my practice to manipulate the table.
1. After finish editing, (Raw table) highlight the whole table.
2. At the Home tab, under the Paragraph group, choose ‘Line and paragraph spacing’. à Choose 1 pt. If still over flowing, click the same button, click ‘Remove space after paragraph’. If still overflowing, while the whole table being selected, try to reduce the font size until you manage to fit the table into single page. Remember that you can reduce (or enlarge) font size in increment of 0.5. Let’s say few rows of your table over flow to next page, you can set the font size to 11.5.
There is another trick which might be alien for many. Normally, our page orientation will be ‘Portrait’. But for some tables, ‘Landscape’ more appropriate. How can we change page orientation for single pages here and there?
Let’s say you have edited two pages. Your next step is to edit a table. This table will be wider then page wide. So, you have to do this:
1. At the ‘Insert’ menu, choose ‘Page Break’. Your courser now will be in a new page.
2. Click the ‘Page Layout’ group. At the Right Bottom of this group you will see a small down arrowed box. Clicked on it, you will be drawn to ‘Page Set-up’ menu.
3. In the ‘Margin’ Tab (default), choose ‘Landscape’ in ‘Orientation’ group.
4. The very important step before you click ‘OK’ at the ‘Apply to’ drop down menu, click ‘This point forward’.
5. Now you can edit your table. In the midst of portrait orientation, your page with table will be in Landscape orientation.
6. However, when you want edit text outside the table, the page orientation will be still in ‘Landscape’.
7. How are going to revert from this point onward? You have to follow this step from the beginning.
8. At the next point of the table, Click ‘Insert’ menu. Choose ‘Page Break’ (Step 1 above).
9. Do step 2 above.
10. But in step 3, choose ‘Portrait’.
11. Now you can do step 4.
There are 5 tables in the document, all the tables were 'split' at some point via the 'split tables' function. I created the table from copying and pasting lines from a powerpoint document, then converting that text in to one table, then creating columns to the left and right of it and have hand typed the column headings.
I have tried the following, to no avail:
Hopefully, my explanation could over rule the above 4 complains.
Is this a problem with Word 2010?
Help would be appreciated.
Thank you
Both of those features work properly for me.
If you want to send the document to me, I will take a look at it for you.
I'm having the same problem, ot at least the part about not being able to get the heading row to repeat. Would you check my table if I sent it to you? And if so, how do I send it to you?
Bruce Watson
The correct answer to the problem was given the day it was asked on 3 April 2011.