word 2010 table headers and 'do not allow rows to break across pages' not working

Anonymous
2011-04-02T23:18:17+00:00

Recently I've moved over to office 2010, having been an Office user for 10+ years. My issue is with  Word 2010. I'm ok in Word, no expert but get by and can do what I need to.  I've never had the below issues before and have used this function many times on Word 2007.

When I am using tables I have selected the 'repeat header rows' function.  However it is not working.  Anotherwords, my header rows are not repeating on subsequent pages.

Also, when using tables, I have de-selected (from table properties) 'allow rows to break across pages', so that my rows shouldnt be split across 2 pages.  However, this also is not working.

There are 5 tables in the document, all the tables were 'split' at some point via the 'split tables' function.  I created the table from copying and pasting lines from a powerpoint document, then converting that text in to one table, then creating columns to the left and right of it and have hand typed the column headings.

I have tried the following, to no avail:

  1. Saving the document, closing and reopening it.  This did not work.
  2. From table properties trying the different combinations of turning on and off the 'allow rows to break across pages' and 'repeat as header row across each page' and the 'repeat header rows' quick button from the layout screen.  None of these combinations worked.
  3. Copied and pasted one of the tables within the same document and tried the 'repeat header rows' function in copied table.  It did not work
  4. Created a new row below the header row. Copied and pasted the data and then deleted the original header row.  Deselected then selected again 'repeat header rows'.  This also failed.

Is this a problem with Word 2010?

Help would be appreciated.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-04-03T04:26:39+00:00

In table properties, make sure the  table wrapping is set to  None. 

Pam

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-04-03T02:58:07+00:00

    Tried the 'open and repair' function.  It did not fix the problems.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-04-03T02:56:54+00:00

    Thanks that would be very helpful.  Have you got an email address for me to send it to.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.4K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2011-04-03T02:26:35+00:00

    When you split a table, the heading row will not repeat. Inserting a manual page break will split the table. But you can force a table row to start on a new page by applying "Page break before" formatting to the row you want to start a new page. This appears not to be relevant to your situation, but I mention it just in case. Do make sure that only the top row(s) are designated as heading rows; if you have heading rows within the table, it will behave as if split.

    From your description, it sounds as if the document may be damaged. You might try using Open and Repair.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2011-04-02T23:53:11+00:00

    Both of those features work properly for me.

    If you want to send the document to me, I will take a look at it for you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments