MS Office 2010 PROBLEMS!!

Anonymous
2010-06-10T02:35:48+00:00

When I start any of the MS Office 2010 problems it gives me the following errors - "Please wait while Windows Configures Microsoft Office - gathering required information."  Does anyone have any idea what is going on or what I am suppose to do to fix this problem?  I have tried re-installing and running the Fix Software application that was included in the software.   The version of MS Office that I have is NOT the beta version, I just purchased it from online.  Please assist - thanks!!

Ken

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-06-20T09:55:27+00:00

Open Run (Press Windows key + R) copy and paste the following commands one at a time and then press ENTER. You may receive a prompt to click on the continue/allow button.

Disclaimer: Modifying REGISTRY settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of REGISTRY settings can be solved. Modifications of these settings are at your own risk.

Ensure to back-up the registry using the steps givenhere before modification.

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Word\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Excel\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Access\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

Once the registry keys are added, try to open the target Office applications and verify if it fixes the issue.

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-06-20T19:05:41+00:00

Thanks Niranjan!

I solved the problem after my rather rude (though understandably frustrated) post yesterday.

It turns out that simply turning off the Anti-Virus program before the install may not be enough. I discovered this after I installed the program on a second computer in my home. The computer I was having problems with had ZoneAlarm Extreme Security and the other computer had BitDefender Antivirus. Although I had turned off the real time virus scanning of both AVP's the ZoneAlarm program still had other protection services running in the background which were preventing access to certain keys (HKLM\Classes) in the registry.

I uninstalled ZoneAlarm and then was able to install Office 2010 without any problems and it was running correctly without any more annoying "Wait while Windows..." messages. I then re-installed ZoneAlarm and everything still works fine.

It may not be necessary to uninstall an AVP if one knows what services it may be running in the background and turns them off in the Services Contol Panel but removing and reinstalling an Anti Virus Program is certainly far easier and quicker than formatting a hard drive and reinstalling everything.

If people are receiving this message it is most likely due to their Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware program interfering with the install.

Michael

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-07-22T15:22:40+00:00

    Niranjan,

    Good day.  I've been wondering whether a fix for this problem has been identified.  In my own case, I installed Office Professional 2010 on a fully updated 32-bit Vista Home Premium system.  I also have the situation where starting each Office application causes this message to be displayed: "Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft Office Single Image 2010."

    I tried only the first of the Registry fixes you recommended above (see Note below), but although the change was accepted, this had no effect on Word start-up.

    However, I tried two things that I should mention:

    1. If I start Word from here [C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\winword.exe], the application starts properly/normally.
    2. Also, if I double-click on a Word document, this also properly launches the application.

    Do these circumstances I described give a clue as to how to fix this?

    I thank you in advance for what ever assistance you can provide.  Have a good day.

    Tony M.

    NOTE : The registry change I tried was run from a Command Prompt session that I launched as the Administrator:

         "reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Word\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1" [w/o quotes]

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-09-29T22:59:08+00:00

    I have the same exact problem. I keep adding those reg junk and nothing works I can't believe that Microsoft has done nothing to fix this. Anyone have any other suggestions?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-10-06T03:58:55+00:00

    It WORKS!!!!!!... but only for Word. Excel still having the same problem (wait while windows con....), I tried the registry modification 2 times but it didn't work. Its any patch avaliable to solve this?.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments