MS Office 2010 PROBLEMS!!

Anonymous
2010-06-10T02:35:48+00:00

When I start any of the MS Office 2010 problems it gives me the following errors - "Please wait while Windows Configures Microsoft Office - gathering required information."  Does anyone have any idea what is going on or what I am suppose to do to fix this problem?  I have tried re-installing and running the Fix Software application that was included in the software.   The version of MS Office that I have is NOT the beta version, I just purchased it from online.  Please assist - thanks!!

Ken

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-06-20T09:55:27+00:00

Open Run (Press Windows key + R) copy and paste the following commands one at a time and then press ENTER. You may receive a prompt to click on the continue/allow button.

Disclaimer: Modifying REGISTRY settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of REGISTRY settings can be solved. Modifications of these settings are at your own risk.

Ensure to back-up the registry using the steps givenhere before modification.

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Word\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Excel\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Access\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

Once the registry keys are added, try to open the target Office applications and verify if it fixes the issue.

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-06-20T19:05:41+00:00

Thanks Niranjan!

I solved the problem after my rather rude (though understandably frustrated) post yesterday.

It turns out that simply turning off the Anti-Virus program before the install may not be enough. I discovered this after I installed the program on a second computer in my home. The computer I was having problems with had ZoneAlarm Extreme Security and the other computer had BitDefender Antivirus. Although I had turned off the real time virus scanning of both AVP's the ZoneAlarm program still had other protection services running in the background which were preventing access to certain keys (HKLM\Classes) in the registry.

I uninstalled ZoneAlarm and then was able to install Office 2010 without any problems and it was running correctly without any more annoying "Wait while Windows..." messages. I then re-installed ZoneAlarm and everything still works fine.

It may not be necessary to uninstall an AVP if one knows what services it may be running in the background and turns them off in the Services Contol Panel but removing and reinstalling an Anti Virus Program is certainly far easier and quicker than formatting a hard drive and reinstalling everything.

If people are receiving this message it is most likely due to their Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware program interfering with the install.

Michael

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-07-09T01:14:59+00:00

    I have the same problem but with Vista, and using  Office home & Student 2007. Do I need to do the same thing??

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-07-16T17:04:54+00:00

    I agree - things should work. But when they don't, the best response is to stop trying fixes that don't work. The problems that I was having were not with the individual programs - somehow, it seems that something had screwed up the installer so a completely new "custom" install - including formatting the hard drive - seemed the best response - and indeed, my computer is now problem free. It's a pain, but much less aggravating than all the hassles I was having.


    David E

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-07-16T17:29:19+00:00

    I finally got it all sorted out. First, I uninstalled Office, created a new Admin account, and installed it under that. I ran Microsoft's FixIt and CCleaner prior to installation. That seemed to work. Strange since I'd done this all before. I figured I'd give it another shot, and it, for some reason worked. It might have been that I ran CCleaner multiple times this go round...

    But my EndNote program, which interfaces with Word, didn't work. Because the office installation worked with the new admin account, I figured I'd try it all in my normal account - the EndNote issues might have been related to that. So, I deleted the new Admin account, uninstalled both Office and EndNote, ran FixIt and CCleaner (multiple times on CCleaner), and reinstalled everything. Office finally worked, but the EndNote issues were still there (Invalid String Command).

    To make a long story short, it turned out that I didn't have sufficient privileges to write to the registry. With enough monkeying around in Regedit, I was able to resolve that, delete the problematic key cause EndNote to not work, uninstalled EndNote, run CCleaner, and reinstall EndNote. A clean install for Windows 7, all the programs I use, and reconfiguring everything the same way would have taken a lot longer.

    In the end, it all worked out. But it was painful :-p. And a strange byproduct was that I had to reinstall some of my programs (Skype and Messenger). Must have cleaned out something I shouldn't have...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments