MS Office 2010 PROBLEMS!!

Anonymous
2010-06-10T02:35:48+00:00

When I start any of the MS Office 2010 problems it gives me the following errors - "Please wait while Windows Configures Microsoft Office - gathering required information."  Does anyone have any idea what is going on or what I am suppose to do to fix this problem?  I have tried re-installing and running the Fix Software application that was included in the software.   The version of MS Office that I have is NOT the beta version, I just purchased it from online.  Please assist - thanks!!

Ken

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-06-20T09:55:27+00:00

Open Run (Press Windows key + R) copy and paste the following commands one at a time and then press ENTER. You may receive a prompt to click on the continue/allow button.

Disclaimer: Modifying REGISTRY settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of REGISTRY settings can be solved. Modifications of these settings are at your own risk.

Ensure to back-up the registry using the steps givenhere before modification.

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Word\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Excel\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Access\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

Once the registry keys are added, try to open the target Office applications and verify if it fixes the issue.

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-06-20T19:05:41+00:00

Thanks Niranjan!

I solved the problem after my rather rude (though understandably frustrated) post yesterday.

It turns out that simply turning off the Anti-Virus program before the install may not be enough. I discovered this after I installed the program on a second computer in my home. The computer I was having problems with had ZoneAlarm Extreme Security and the other computer had BitDefender Antivirus. Although I had turned off the real time virus scanning of both AVP's the ZoneAlarm program still had other protection services running in the background which were preventing access to certain keys (HKLM\Classes) in the registry.

I uninstalled ZoneAlarm and then was able to install Office 2010 without any problems and it was running correctly without any more annoying "Wait while Windows..." messages. I then re-installed ZoneAlarm and everything still works fine.

It may not be necessary to uninstall an AVP if one knows what services it may be running in the background and turns them off in the Services Contol Panel but removing and reinstalling an Anti Virus Program is certainly far easier and quicker than formatting a hard drive and reinstalling everything.

If people are receiving this message it is most likely due to their Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware program interfering with the install.

Michael

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-06-19T22:15:44+00:00

    I just purchased 2010 Professional Academic yesterday and tried to install it. I am now on day 2 of trying to make it work. I have done the following things:

    Installation:

    1. Turned off anti-virus and firewall programs
    2. Followed installation instructions. No Errors, etc.

    Re-Installation:

    1. Un-installed using Windows Install Cleanup Tool
    2. Deleted Related Folders and Directories
    3. Deleted Related Registry Keys and Used CCleaner and IOLO System Mechanic to purge and compress the registry.
    4. Turned off anti-virus and firewall programs
    5. Followed installation instructions.

    I do not receive any error messages at any stage. However every time I click on Access, Excel, Word, or Outlook I get in this order:

    1. Please wait while Windows Configures Microsoft Office Single Image 2010 followed by:
    2. Please wait while Windows Configures Microsoft Office.

    It takes almost ten minutes before the program is ready to use. There are no error messages. The program shows that it is Activated. The programs work without any problems other than their desire to re-confgure themselves everytime I try to use them!

    Additional things I have tried:

    1. Set Permissions on all related folders to Everyone
    2. Set Permissions on all related registry keys to Everyone
    3. Set all related programs to Run as Administrator
    4. Turned off UAC

    Nothing I have tried seems to work! It is sad that I was able to get Borland C++ Builder and Adobe CS4 to work on Windows 7 with little problem in less than an hour but that I cannot get a Microsoft program to work on a Microsoft OS in over 24. What gives? Anyway, I hope someone finds a solution soon although it appears from what I have read in other forums that this issue has affected many people since the BETA version and no one seems to have an answer. I will keep my fingers crossed!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-06-29T04:16:08+00:00

    I was hoping this would be the solution - but it hasn't worked for me.

    I uninstalled Off2010-H&B, and NIS-2010. Custom re-installed Off - same problems.

    I'll next try the reg changes mentioned above

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-06-29T04:36:04+00:00

    OK - Tried this. (I still am getting the Single Image message but have seen a fix for that elsewhere - seems to be a problem with the shortcut.)

    It worked for Word - tho there was a brief "Configuring" or maybe that was a "Starting" message - too quick to tell.

    No luck with Excel tho - Here's what the Excel Options registry looks like now

    Key Name:          HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Excel\Options

    Class Name:        <NO CLASS>

    Last Write Time:   28/06/2010 - 9:24 PM

    Value 0

      Name:            MRUFuncs

      Type:            REG_SZ

      Data:            4,5,1,359,0,7,15,345,59,12

    Value 1

      Name:            Maximized

      Type:            REG_DWORD

      Data:            0

    Value 2

      Name:            Pos

      Type:            REG_SZ

      Data:            338,200,805,810

    Value 3

      Name:            StickyPtY

      Type:            REG_DWORD

      Data:            0x8e

    Value 4

      Name:            StickyPtX

      Type:            REG_DWORD

      Data:            0x13c

    Value 5

      Name:            OptionFormat

      Type:            REG_BINARY

      Data:           

    00000000   00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ................

    00000010   00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 -                          ........

    Value 6

      Name:            DecimalSeparator

      Type:            REG_SZ

      Data:            .

    Value 7

      Name:            ThousandsSeparator

      Type:            REG_SZ

      Data:            ,

    Value 8

      Name:            UseSystemSeparators

      Type:            REG_DWORD

      Data:            0x1

    Value 9

      Name:            DefaultSheetR2L

      Type:            REG_DWORD

      Data:            0

    Value 10

      Name:            OptionsDlgSizePos

      Type:            REG_BINARY

      Data:           

    00000000   48 03 00 00 ad 02 00 00 - 82 01 00 00 a0 00 00 00  H...­....... ...

    00000010   00 00 00 00                                        ....

    Value 11

      Name:            SP1FirstRun

      Type:            REG_DWORD

      Data:            0

    Value 12

      Name:            FirstRun

      Type:            REG_DWORD

      Data:            0

    Value 13

      Name:            Options5

      Type:            REG_DWORD

      Data:            0x80

    Value 14

      Name:            NoReReg

      Type:            REG_DWORD

      Data:            0x1

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments