MS Office 2010 PROBLEMS!!

Anonymous
2010-06-10T02:35:48+00:00

When I start any of the MS Office 2010 problems it gives me the following errors - "Please wait while Windows Configures Microsoft Office - gathering required information."  Does anyone have any idea what is going on or what I am suppose to do to fix this problem?  I have tried re-installing and running the Fix Software application that was included in the software.   The version of MS Office that I have is NOT the beta version, I just purchased it from online.  Please assist - thanks!!

Ken

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-06-20T09:55:27+00:00

Open Run (Press Windows key + R) copy and paste the following commands one at a time and then press ENTER. You may receive a prompt to click on the continue/allow button.

Disclaimer: Modifying REGISTRY settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of REGISTRY settings can be solved. Modifications of these settings are at your own risk.

Ensure to back-up the registry using the steps givenhere before modification.

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Word\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Excel\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Access\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

Once the registry keys are added, try to open the target Office applications and verify if it fixes the issue.

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-06-20T19:05:41+00:00

Thanks Niranjan!

I solved the problem after my rather rude (though understandably frustrated) post yesterday.

It turns out that simply turning off the Anti-Virus program before the install may not be enough. I discovered this after I installed the program on a second computer in my home. The computer I was having problems with had ZoneAlarm Extreme Security and the other computer had BitDefender Antivirus. Although I had turned off the real time virus scanning of both AVP's the ZoneAlarm program still had other protection services running in the background which were preventing access to certain keys (HKLM\Classes) in the registry.

I uninstalled ZoneAlarm and then was able to install Office 2010 without any problems and it was running correctly without any more annoying "Wait while Windows..." messages. I then re-installed ZoneAlarm and everything still works fine.

It may not be necessary to uninstall an AVP if one knows what services it may be running in the background and turns them off in the Services Contol Panel but removing and reinstalling an Anti Virus Program is certainly far easier and quicker than formatting a hard drive and reinstalling everything.

If people are receiving this message it is most likely due to their Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware program interfering with the install.

Michael

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-08-05T08:38:22+00:00

    Seems to have happened again after doing the last update to Service Pack 1 for Microsoft Office KB2510690 32 bit (although running Win 7 64 bit)

    Seems like last update did the same problem and solved by inserting original disk but won't this time.

    If you cancel 2 screens will open Office 2010 but trying various suggestions to get rid of the nag.  But it seems to be related to the updates.

    UPDATE - FOUND Problem after doing lots of stuff suggested that didn't work.

    Turned out to be an COM Tabs for Word v 6.50 add-in

    Disabled and no longer getting wait problem

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-07-06T14:35:57+00:00

    tried method 2 no luck. what is method 1.

    shanker

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-07-06T14:26:37+00:00

    Niranjan I have tried your solution and it does not work for me. Perhaps and explanation of what is happening can help us solve this. I suspect the problem is not with office but with the windows installer and the registry.

    Shanker

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments