Can't change default style in Word

Anonymous
2011-09-26T22:54:58+00:00

I have been able to change the default font to what I want, and the default margins, but cannot find a way to change the default style.  I want to have it default to "No Spacing" instead of "Normal". 

Note:  I edited this on 9/27/11 to put "Normal" instead of "Paragraph", which I had erroneously put in originally.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-09-26T23:21:24+00:00

That setting doesn't ring a bell. Where do you set it?

When all else fails to change a default, I suggest opening the template for edting, NORMAL.DOTM is the default, and make changes there.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-09-29T08:49:36+00:00

    Yes, that's what I did.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2011-09-27T21:27:44+00:00

    OK, so you applied the No Spacing style to the blank paragraph in the Normal template.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-09-27T18:54:26+00:00

    Sorry!  My mistake.  In my reply above, I meant to put "No Spacing", not "Normal Spacing".  For the Word 2010 that I have, in the ribbon at the top, there are boxes for "Normal", "No Spacing", "Heading 1", etc.  I clicked on the "No Spacing" box.  I added a note to the reply to try to clarify this. 

    I also went back today and fixed the original question above.  I had an error there, too, as I described there. 

    Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.4K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2011-09-27T15:57:24+00:00

    What you haven't specified, which I think is what Stefan was asking, was where you found the Normal Spacing setting. I'm curious about this, too. If you use Home | Styles | Change Styles | Paragraph Spacing, there is a No Paragraph Space choice that might be what you're referring to. The Line and Paragraph Spacing button in the Paragraph group also has various choicing for line spacing and Spacing Before/After. But nowhere do I see a setting for "Normal Spacing."

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments