Microsoft Office Click-to-Run 2010 (Protected) (Q:)

Anonymous
2010-08-16T06:51:15+00:00

I just removed the Microsoft Office 2010 to reinstall a fresh one because the previous one is a trial and when I click start to use the Microsoft Office, it always load to page 4 of 4 and pop up an error saying that Microsoft Office is unable to start, I decided to remove it and brought to my school so the instructor can install a full version of Microsoft Office 2010 for me. But then inside the My Computer it automatically built up a "drive?" Microsoft Office Click-to-Run 2010 (Protected) (Q:) [doesn't have this drive at new bought]. I couldn't remove this nor using uninstall from the Control Panel. It run the uninstalling but while the process is popped up an error stated that the process cannot be complete. Please contact the Microsoft Product.

Anybody know the solution for this, please I need help.

here is the screen shot of the Q:

http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e345/PhoenixWEI/?action=view&current=Untitled-1.jpg

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-08-16T14:45:14+00:00

This is by-design. The Click and Run version uses AppV [1] which creates this drive.

André

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/App-V


"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-08-22T16:54:35+00:00

    I installed the Starter pack and it screwed up my existing 2010 Excel plus took my assigned personal drive letter on the corporate network.  Apparently, since my Lenovo Thinkpad already uses the Q: drive assignment, MS CTR took my R: drive.

    Why doesn't MS ask for a drive letter assignment instead of thinking it knows better than I do?  Oh, never mind, MS is smarter than everyone else.  BTW, wasn't that Enron's downfall?

    I installed the Starter so I could open a Word 2010 document sent to me.  Stupid me, I thought that MS would have been smart enough to have the installer check if I already had Excel 2010 installed before screwing it up!

    I had to reassign most of my Excel default program extensions back to Excel, plus a few Word extensions that I want Word 2003 to continue to use.

    I've run the uninstall and I'm hoping that when I boot up tomorrow morning Excel 2010 & Word 2003 will still work.  I'm not rebooting right now, since I have real work to get done today.

    MS's lack of consideration and poor communication skills has cost me and my company a good 4 hours of my time.  I wonder how long MS would stay in business if everyone who's lost work hours was able to bill them for those lost hours?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-08-10T02:38:42+00:00

    When you re-installed, did you first re-download the installation file?

    If you did, that is when you got "CTR'd". Just like catching a virus. The MS Office download sites check your internet connection speed. If it is "high enough", the site will automatically, without asking or any warning, download the CTR installation file. You have to look closely before downloading, there is a low key option "advanced" or some such rubbish, that if you follow it will give you the option to go with "normal" MSI installation file (as I described earlier ...)

    Go back through the discussion. I've posted a couple of tips on how to replace CTR with normal MSI installation.

    Personally, I REALLY REALLY wish that when the MS download site decides that you "qualify" for the privilege of using CTR they should pop up a HUGE FLASHING NEON warning box giving you the option to choose CTR or MSI installation file.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-08-09T05:26:12+00:00

    I dont get it because I just had to reinstall Microsoft Office Home and Student 2010 and it gave me this drive... And I cant remove it!!!! I just dont understand????

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-08-07T07:18:38+00:00

    The "Q:" drive holds the Click to Run Office Starter. If you uninstall CTR, you lose Starter.  Note: there are no Starter installation files available to end users, OEM only. You would have to use the factory "restore" partition to reset Windows to factory, losing all of your current applications AND data, just to get Starter back.

    Why do you think you can't install Access with CTR. The point of using CTR to hold Starter is to completely isolate that office installation from the rest of the computer, including other Office / Access installations!

    Your Access installation may be conflicting with a Office Trial Installation that "came with" your computer. Go into control Panel, Programs and Features and check if there is a Trial Office installation. If there is, uninstall it, reboot, then try to install Access.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments