click-2-run configuration failure

Anonymous
2010-02-22T09:47:55+00:00

I installed word 2010 beta, and I cant open it.

I just get the above message

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-10-19T22:55:06+00:00

I had all of the same problems listed above, with no luck. I tried uninstalling, or repairing and no luck. I am using Windows 7, and using the Microsoft Office Starter that came pre-packaged with a new laptop. This laptop is less than 2 weeks old and Office started acting up a couple days after we got it. I have gone over and over the forums and tech supports with no luck.

I took an alternate approach to repairing the "Click-2-Run Configuration Failure" that WORKED (For me). I hope this helps others, the approach is very simple that anyone with ADMIN rights should be able to do this.

Solution that worked for me...

1.) Create an alternate User Account on the computer.

2.) Restart the computer and Login to the new user account.

3.) Open the Microsoft Office Starter from "All Programs"

4.) Click on Word or Excel

5.) The program should start loading all files needed from the Microsoft server.

6.) Once all files are loaded, you should be able to access your Microsoft Office Starter Programs. (Open and confirm.)

7.) "Switch User" to your ORIGINAL ACCOUNT

8.) Click one of the Microsoft Office Starter programs and hopefully it will start working.

9.) NOTE: I have not yet deleted the new user account, so results may vary.

Good luck,

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-05-22T21:34:25+00:00

    I would really appreciate some help from Microsoft or someone. As stated above The Action Cannot be Completed.  What can I do to have Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point working once more?  Any help please?

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-05-15T11:44:12+00:00

    Thank you Moderator for offering this solution. If only it would work. Maybe you should read all of the replies in this thread. Many of us have tried this solution and get the following message:

    "The action cannot be completed. Try the action again. If the problem continues, contact Microsoft Product Support".

    This is what our problem is. When the uninstall does not work, then what?Please try to offer us something that should work easily.Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.4K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2012-05-15T03:38:21+00:00

    I'm glad this worked for you, but it really should not have been necessary. The instructions at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02981221&lc=en&cc=us&destPage=document&dlc=en explain how to repair/reinstall Office Starter.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-05-14T20:51:48+00:00

    Hello, I've finally managed to fix Microsoft Starter on my laptop, which would no longer work due to this click to run configuration failure. I looked everywhere I could find on the internet and tried all the advice, after this didnt work I came to the conclusion that I would have to restore factory settings. This worked. 

    What I did:

    1. Saved all my data to usb sticks. (dont forget to save your internet bookmarks as I forgot to and it was highly irritating)
    2. Opened Viao Care,
    3. clicked recovery and restore,
    4. From  drop down menu chose recovery
    5. on right of screen chose recover computer.
    6. Clicked yes when it asked "Restoring your computer to factory condition is about to begin, do you want to continue' this then took me into the recovery wizard.  I followed the instructions (without making a recovery disk as I'd already saved everything.) It took quite a while but when it was done office starter worked and I had all of the month trials of photoshop etc , I did have to re-download things like Itunes and norton but it was like having a new laptop!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments