Errors were detected while saving file in Excel 2010

Anonymous
2010-09-01T16:04:55+00:00

I get the error "Errors were detected while saving 'C:\Users\Filename.xlsx. To make repairs in a new file, click continue. To cancel saving the file, click cancel" The appears to be no pattern to this. Does any have a solution. All similar questions in the forum don't offer a solution to this error message.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-11-11T09:58:36+00:00

I have had this issue recently and it turned out to be a company logo which was in the top right of each worksheet.I removed this (.png) image from each sheet, the workbook did not then give an error saving. I then opened the logo and re-saved it as a .jpg and then re-added it to each sheet. The workbook continued to save quite happily.

Hope this helps

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-03-05T11:59:23+00:00

    We had this recently and it was textboxes.

    Not sure why they were there, but possible that the user copied and pasted their data from another application.

    So using this advice "You can find the objects in the Selection Pane (Ribbon Page Layout>Arrange>Selection Pane), including the hidden ones." worked for us.

    We simply removed all the textboxes and it resolved the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-04-18T11:30:07+00:00

    Thanks, it solved my problem when I changed company's logo.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-07-14T15:48:31+00:00

    I had this issue in a fairly large workbook with lots of pivot tables and cross references.

    I went through, selected the entire page (grey box top left) and searched for errors via the formula tab -> no errors.

    I then tried BillBrown's method of copying and pasting the sheet, but it wouldn't let me because of the pivot tables. 

    Successful Solution

    Right-clicking on a sheet's tab at the bottom gives you the option to move or copy. I copied each sheet to a new workbook, saving a version of that workbook each time a sheet was added. Make sure to check 'create a copy'. 

    This generated a cloned workbook, pivot tables and formatting intact, which saved perfectly and which I am now using.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-08-30T14:39:07+00:00

    I've had this save issue many times when I use the "Move or Copy" function to copy a worksheet to another open file. Had it happen again this time, and the worksheet had an image in the sheet. Taking advice from the other posts here, I deleted the image. Success! I was then able to save the file. I brought the image from the original worksheet by copy-pasting the image instead.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments