Font keeps changing back to Calibri?

Anonymous
2010-06-30T16:02:39+00:00

Hello,

I have a question here. Whenever I change my font and then try to type, it keeps changing back to double-spaced 11pt Calibri. I can't cope with this, as I want another font to write my book (sans-serif to have its feel). But I can't change it.

I have tried typing the paragraph first and then change it back to my desired font. It works, but this is just too much work, because in the next paragraph it reverted back to Calibri.

I have tried a solution where one suggests to change the Default font, and that doesn't work either.

For your notes, I have recently updated my Microsoft Office. Updates installed are KB934391, KB967642 and a few security updates.

I will check back here everyday. Please respond quickly.

Sincerely.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2010-06-30T17:46:55+00:00

My guess is that you haven't succeeded in properly changing the default font. There are several ways; try this one: In the Styles pane (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S), click the Manage Styles button. On the Set Defaults tab, specify the settings that you want. The changes will apply to the current document, but if you select "New documents based on this template" before clicking OK, the settings will be transferred to the attached template.

If it still doesn't work, try opening the Normal template as a file and make the changes directly (in the Open dialog box, click Trusted Templates, click Normal.dotm and click Open). When you are done, save and close Normal.

Assuming that works, the next step is to investigate what prevented you from saving your Normal template earlier.

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-04-18T14:29:24+00:00

    It's still setting the body font at 11 point, not 12, though it is finally staying at TNR.  This is unacceptable for our business.  We need 12 point.  How many places do I have to set it before it stays set at 12 point?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-04-17T16:49:30+00:00

    If you set your "default" font by modifying the normal paragraph style, that's likely causing of many of your problems because  the document defaults are still at W2010 settings (Calibri etc.).  You can see the document defaults by going here:  Styles pane > Manage Styles button > Set Defaults tab.  If the defaults are set at +Body and the font in the normal paragraph style is not set to Font Name (Body), they have different settings.

    If you are using W2010, the best way to change the defaults is to go to  Home tab > Styles group > Change Styles > Fonts and choose, say, Office Classic (the W2003 fonts).   Then modify the normal style and make sure the font is set to Times New Roman (Body)--not just Times New Roman.  

    Added later:

    To set the font size, click Change Styles > Paragraph Spacing >Custom Paragraph Spacing.  The  Manage Styles dialog will appear with the Set Defaults tab showing.  Change the font size there.

    Leave the  font at +Body. But change the other settings (particularly paragraph and line spacings) to what you need.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-04-17T15:03:06+00:00

    Stefan, I'm a long-time user (though like a previous commenter, I much preferred WordPerfect).  I'm pretty savvy and any time I get a new computer the first thing I do is go through and turn off all the annoying auto-correct features (my vocabulary is better than Word's and it was shaming the iPhone for autocorrect errors) and set my default fonts to Times Roman 12 pt (currently Times New Roman).  My current problem is cutting and pasting.  While I have all the defaults changed to keeping the source document, even cutting and pasting within the SAME document will often change the pasted text to Calibri 11 pt.  This is beyond frustrating.  And the old option of keeping the destination font is gone, so pasting from outside into a document cannot be set.

    My personal opinion is that having to set a style to make the fonts stay at the default I choose is ridiculous.  And I seem to be a bit out of luck.  Since I never used Styles, I took it off my toolbar and now it won't add it back without making it a subheading under a new title on a tab (in other words, I have to drill down to get it after I go to the correct tab).  If I have to do that for every new document I will go insane.

    If you have any ideas on making my life easier and saving my state time and money (I'm a government employee), I'm ready to hear them.

    P. S. While we're at it, standard fonts have always been 10 pt or 12 pt.  Why in the world did they choose 11 pt as a standard?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2012-09-27T19:09:42+00:00

    Changing the defaults is fairly straightforward even in Word 2010 (as discussed previously in this thread). I do agree that the choice of factory defaults are ... surprising.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments