A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data.
If you just want the result of the formula, try
ActiveSheet.Range("E" & r).Value = ActiveSheet.Range("E1").Value
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Hi
I have a protected sheet contain formula in each row depends to above row( for example C2=C1+1; C3=C2+1;...).and cells contained these formula are locked.
I like to allow users to insert row everywhere by keeping formula without unprotecting the sheet. When I am clicking "insert row" while protecting the sheet, users could insert a row but the locked inserted cells are not including any formula and excel doesn't permit to copy formula of above cells. is there any solution?
Thanks
A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
If you just want the result of the formula, try
ActiveSheet.Range("E" & r).Value = ActiveSheet.Range("E1").Value
In the first place: to prevent the users from viewing the macro and seeing the password to unlock the sheet, you must protect the Visual Basic project of the workbook with a password.
Let's say the password is "secret". The following macro will insert a row and fill down the formula in column C:
Sub InsertARow()
Dim r As Long
On Error GoTo ErrHandler
' Get the row number
r = Range("C10").Value
' Unprotect the sheet
ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:="secret"
' Insert a row
Range("C" & r).EntireRow.Insert
' Fill down the formula from above the inserted row to below it
Range("C" & (r - 1) & ":C" & (r + 1)).FillDown
ExitHandler:
' Protect the sheet again
ActiveSheet.Protect Password:="secret"
' Get out
Exit Sub
ErrHandler:
' Report the error to the user
MsgBox Err.Description, vbExclamation
' Always go past the exit handler section
Resume ExitHandler
End Sub
You can expand the line
ActiveSheet.Protect Password:="secret"
for example to
ActiveSheet.Protect Password:="secret", AllowFormattingCells:=True
to allow formatting unlocked cells. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff840611(v=office.15).aspx for the available options.
Hello again HansV.
I have noticed a little bit of a problem with the spreadsheet since its been in use. There are a few allowances I make for people when they work in this spreadsheet while still under protection. However when they hit the insert row button that I have created it gets rid of those exceptions and locks up the spreadsheet without the allowances/exceptions.
Is there a way this can be fixed?
Thanks
Hello again HansV.
I have noticed a little bit of a problem with the spreadsheet since its been in use. There are a few allowances I make for people when they work in this spreadsheet while still under protection. However when they hit the insert row button that I have created it gets rid of those exceptions and locks up the spreadsheet without the allowances/exceptions.
Is there a way this can be fixed?
Thanks