personal.xlsb opens when opening a new file

Anonymous
2010-08-03T14:16:56+00:00

The file personal.xlsb opens every time I open a new file. I saved all my macros in module1 of the new workbook but this personal file keeps opening. I have read that in Excel > Options > Advanced > under General, At startup open all files in is = BLANK will stop this but mine was already BLANK. How do I stop this file from opening?

Thanks,

JCM

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-08-03T14:59:33+00:00

Hi,

Persaonal.xlsb opens automatically every time Excel opens provided it has been created.

Writing a UDF wouldn't create P.xlsb unless that UDF was saved to P.xlsb. So at sometime; and maybe no associated with this UDF, someone has saved something to P.xlsb (maybe in error) and caused the creation of that file.

Now it is created I strongly recommend you hide it and forget it but if you don't want to do that then you can delete p.xlsb like this.

With the Excel application not running.

Open windows explorer, and assuming you did a standard installation, navigate to

C:\program files\microsoft office\office 12\xlstart

delete personal.xlsb


If this post answers your question, please mark it as the Answer.

Mike H

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-03-30T20:53:03+00:00

    I am experiencing an issue with the personal.xlsb file on my machine. Yesterday I was trying to get a macro to work so it would load the date automatically when the file was saved, and after that failed to work, I deleted its contents from that file.

    Now, whenever I open Excel, I am automatically warned about the security notice - enable/disable macros. It shows a string of folders on my machine to the personal.xlsb file; however, I am not able to find it no matter what I do.

    I have accepted the macros, and I have also declined the macros, and then I go to Developer » Macros, and nothing is listed as I removed the failed attempt earlier. But I still get the warning no matter what I do.

    Does anyone happen to have any useful suggestions as to what I should do to resolve this?

    Many thanks for your help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-08-03T14:48:42+00:00

    What I would like if possible is not having to deal with this personal file but if making it not visible is the only solution then I suppose your post is the answer. However it would be helpful if knowng that the UDF causes the personal file to open.

    Thanks,

    JCM

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-08-03T14:41:56+00:00

    I did create a UDF so maybe that is why it opens. I dont really know.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-08-03T14:38:28+00:00

    Hi,

    No it's not new. personal.xls or in later versions .xlsb is a hidden workbook in which you can store macros. At some stage you; or someone else, must have saved something to it or it wouldn't exist and that's the same for earlier versions of Excel. Now it's created and not visible, I'd leave well enough alone and not delete it.

    How it became visible is something i could only guess at.


    If this post answers your question, please mark it as the Answer.

    Mike H

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments