A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data.
Hi, I have been having the same problem. I have just saved the Excel file as a Macro Enabled workbook and problem has resolved.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I have a workbook created in Excel 2010. I used Data Validation to create a drop-down list in a cell that uses a different column of data for the list of values. I selected "List" in data validation and made sure that "in cell drop-down" is selected. the Drop Down list works fine while I have the spreadsheet open. For business purposes, I need to protect both the worksheet and workbook structure but the drop-down cells are unlocked and not hidden. The source data is both locked and hidden. Everything works fine until I save and close the workbook and then reopen it. The drop-down arrow still appears but the list does not pop up when the cell/arrow is selected. When I select "Data Validation" again, it says it allows "Any Value". That is, the validation is gone.
I know in excel 2007 there was an issue with frozen panes using drop downs. i have no frozen panes. the cell DOES, however, have a name applied to it so it can be referenced by name in other places in the workbook. But other drop-downs without names also have the same problem.
Please help. I am really under the gun to get this working and will be completely stuck without these data validation fields.
A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hi, I have been having the same problem. I have just saved the Excel file as a Macro Enabled workbook and problem has resolved.
Opened workbook by filename 'TEST.xlsx'.
Entered an sample list of names in Sheet2 A1:A10
Selected cell A1 in sheet1> data tab> datavalidation> list> source =Sheet2!A1:A10 (Check in cell drop down)>ok
Sheet1 A1>Format cells> protection> uncheck loceked> ok. Now when sheet1 is active> Protect sheet>ok; protect workbook> ok
I saved an reopened it, it worked . It worked like a charm.
Please provide step by step on how you trying to work on excel file. I am sure some where its problem in the course of data validating:(
Keep Eye on your TIME, Not on your WATCH.
OH MY GOODNESS, you have saved my DAYYYYYY!!!!
Hi, I have been having the same problem. I have just saved the Excel file as a Macro Enabled workbook and problem has resolved.
This solved it for me. I have a zillion drop-downs on my spreadsheet and all of a sudden Excel didn't feel like using them in certain places. It was almost like it "ran out" of some magical maximum of data validation cells.
Thanks Fabi_Prado! Save as Macro-Enabled worked for me!
I was facing the same issue, and just solved after saving as .xlsm
I have similar problem.
Doing a protected spreadsheet I want to use data validation. All data are on same worksheet. I have 5 different data validation.
When I copy the sheet two data validations don't work, the remaining three do work normally, however. When I check List source after copying it is set to #REF.
The oddest thing, now, is that if I copy again the copied sheet (2nd copying) all lists work normally (!!!???), however, the cells are converted to actual cell values.
Any idea how to get all data validation working after first copying?
I'm working in Excel 2007 (slovenian language), I have already tried to save in .xlsm format but with no success.
Initial data validation:
Data validation after 1st copy:
Data validation after 2nd copy:
Any help greatly appreciated!