page numbers not showing on slides

Anonymous
2010-02-04T18:16:13+00:00

the page numbers i try to place using footer and slide numbers boxes will not show.  background appears to be blocking it.

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-04T22:19:23+00:00

the page numbers i try to place using footer and slide numbers boxes will not show.  background appears to be blocking it.

Hi

Did you use Insert -> Header & Footer? Check to see if the page number placeholder is truned on on the Master - View -> Slide Master -> Slide Master tab -> Master Layout -> check 'Slide Number' is ticked. If it is and you still can't see it it may be behind another element on the slide master - select the 'mother' master (the big one at the top) then Home -> Select drop down -> Selection Pane -> select 'Slide Number Placeholder' -> click the re-order up button (at the bottom of the taskpane) until the slide number placeholder is at the top.

If none of that works, let us know exactly what you have tried and exactly what is happening. Also, if the file was created in a previous version or has been edited in a previous version.

Lucy


Lucy Thomson

PowerPoint MVP

an easier tomorrow

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-05-11T07:16:31+00:00

    Problem solved!

    I added a number using "your way" only to the Main Master for that slide.

    It didn't add numbers to the other slides linked to it for some reason.

    But nevermind, I have exactly what I need. 

    Thanks so much!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-05-11T06:10:03+00:00

    Hi John,

    Firstly, thanks for your advice.

    It partially helps.

    The presentation has transition slides. 

    I don't need a number on this slide, but even if it was OK to have a number, it comes up in the wrong format.

    I can manually delete it, but I'm sending this out to the company for general use, and I'm not sure others will notice and delete.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks!

    Yael

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-05-10T14:28:28+00:00

    In the normal edit mode (not master view)

    Insert > Headers and Footers

    Tick Slide Number and Apply to all

    Does that work?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-05-10T11:22:30+00:00

    the page numbers i try to place using footer and slide numbers boxes will not show.  background appears to be blocking it.

    Hi

    Did you use Insert -> Header & Footer? Check to see if the page number placeholder is truned on on the Master - View -> Slide Master -> Slide Master tab -> Master Layout -> check 'Slide Number' is ticked. If it is and you still can't see it it may be behind another element on the slide master - select the 'mother' master (the big one at the top) then Home -> Select drop down -> Selection Pane -> select 'Slide Number Placeholder' -> click the re-order up button (at the bottom of the taskpane) until the slide number placeholder is at the top.

    If none of that works, let us know exactly what you have tried and exactly what is happening. Also, if the file was created in a previous version or has been edited in a previous version.

    Lucy


    Lucy Thomson

    PowerPoint MVP

    an easier tomorrow

    Hello Lucy,

    I followed your instructions.

    The Slide Number Placeholder appears in the Master, but not in the regular slide view.

    There is no graphic or background to cover it. 

    I will add the following information:

    1. This presentation has several Masters (different sections have different colors). In some cases it'll just show the number in the first slide, but not the following slides. And in some cases not at all. 
    2. I worked on an existing file but also tried this in a brand new one, from scratch.
    3. I am copying and pasting graphics. Again - nothing that can hide the slide number.

    Yael

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments