Classic Outlook with Google Sync has suddenly stopped working (as of June 2)

Anonymous
2025-06-03T11:17:51+00:00

As of yesterday, GSMO which I've been using (mostly) without issue for 8 years has stopped working. Outlook continually freezes and installing/uninstalling both apps is not working. I have a very mature work process within Outlook and using Gmail alone will not be able to match it. I have done some trash/old message clean up in Gmail to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions? Desperate here!

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-06-03T21:16:18+00:00

Had the exact same issue. Started today too (June 3rd 2025). Just before it started, when I opened outlook it wanted to do a authentication verification. It opened a chrome tab and I confirmed the login and rights. Right after that - within 5 seconds of opening outlook, outlook windows all close (silent crash) with no errors shown. I have a secondary outlook profile to an M365 mailbox that does not use google workplace sync and that profile still works normally.

I set my laptop to airplane mode, opened my normal outlook profile with GSMO. With airplane mode on, I could access the Google Workspace Sync icon on the taskbar, Turn Sync Modules on/off - deselect Google Contacts.

Turned airplane mode off again, Close and reopen outlook and email sync is fixed.

Looks pretty definite that google has a bug to fix here. Just gotta remember to recheck "Google Contacts" after their next update.

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-06-09T14:27:30+00:00

    Suddenly I have the same problem of synchronisation, emails to phone but not transferred to desktop - or else taking hours and hours. Site told me to try SARA and I got this message: 404 - File or directory not found. The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. That's not either helpful or impressive.

    What is Microsoft doing to me?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-06-09T17:45:04+00:00

    I got the same answer from Google and tried installing v4.3.68.0 as recommended. The crash kept happening. On digging further, I found that the active version on my PC was still 4.3.73.0. I had to manually uninstall the current version then install the older version.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-06-09T17:54:21+00:00

    Same exact process for me an d once I uninstalled the 73 version and downloaded the 68 version everything worked as it once did. A hassle but now working perfectly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-06-10T07:37:05+00:00

    How are you able to download that old version? All of the links I’ve been shown just take you to a download page and it doesn’t give you an option to pick the version, so the version is always the most recent one which is the broken one! I would love a link to download the.68 version as I am sick to death of not having contacts!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments