Classic Outlook with Google Sync has suddenly stopped working (as of June 2)

Anonymous
2025-06-03T11:17:51+00:00

As of yesterday, GSMO which I've been using (mostly) without issue for 8 years has stopped working. Outlook continually freezes and installing/uninstalling both apps is not working. I have a very mature work process within Outlook and using Gmail alone will not be able to match it. I have done some trash/old message clean up in Gmail to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions? Desperate here!

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-06-03T21:16:18+00:00

Had the exact same issue. Started today too (June 3rd 2025). Just before it started, when I opened outlook it wanted to do a authentication verification. It opened a chrome tab and I confirmed the login and rights. Right after that - within 5 seconds of opening outlook, outlook windows all close (silent crash) with no errors shown. I have a secondary outlook profile to an M365 mailbox that does not use google workplace sync and that profile still works normally.

I set my laptop to airplane mode, opened my normal outlook profile with GSMO. With airplane mode on, I could access the Google Workspace Sync icon on the taskbar, Turn Sync Modules on/off - deselect Google Contacts.

Turned airplane mode off again, Close and reopen outlook and email sync is fixed.

Looks pretty definite that google has a bug to fix here. Just gotta remember to recheck "Google Contacts" after their next update.

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-06-03T17:34:56+00:00

    Also, I went in and removed another large folder from IMAP and started the synch again... right now it hasn't frozen yet. I had also removed all other types of synch like Contacts, Calendar etc. When I tried to add Contacts in, it froze up again. It will open for just long enough to add/remove module options, so I may add/remove all of them to see which ones break the synch. I can live without most things, just not mail.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-06-03T17:56:30+00:00

    I have had this same issue. It seems to be an issue with the contact sync. Now I can't even sync contacts and get an error, but the remainder of the sync seems to be working. It is linked somehow to the latest Workspace sync update with google

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-06-03T18:05:43+00:00

    I agree - contacts seems to be an issue. I may try synching with Calendar, did you try that?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-06-04T04:25:30+00:00

    Have chatted with google support - its seems they have recognised the issue with the contacts sync and are working on a fix to push out and update version 4.3.73.00 of google workspace sync for Outlook. Meantime i have unsync'd my contacts to get Outlook functioning again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments