Classic Outlook with Google Sync has suddenly stopped working (as of June 2)

Anonymous
2025-06-03T11:17:51+00:00

As of yesterday, GSMO which I've been using (mostly) without issue for 8 years has stopped working. Outlook continually freezes and installing/uninstalling both apps is not working. I have a very mature work process within Outlook and using Gmail alone will not be able to match it. I have done some trash/old message clean up in Gmail to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions? Desperate here!

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-06-03T21:16:18+00:00

Had the exact same issue. Started today too (June 3rd 2025). Just before it started, when I opened outlook it wanted to do a authentication verification. It opened a chrome tab and I confirmed the login and rights. Right after that - within 5 seconds of opening outlook, outlook windows all close (silent crash) with no errors shown. I have a secondary outlook profile to an M365 mailbox that does not use google workplace sync and that profile still works normally.

I set my laptop to airplane mode, opened my normal outlook profile with GSMO. With airplane mode on, I could access the Google Workspace Sync icon on the taskbar, Turn Sync Modules on/off - deselect Google Contacts.

Turned airplane mode off again, Close and reopen outlook and email sync is fixed.

Looks pretty definite that google has a bug to fix here. Just gotta remember to recheck "Google Contacts" after their next update.

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-06-10T08:52:32+00:00

    The link that Google sent me and the one I posted took me to the old version (68). You must first delete the newest version (73) that Google pushed to their customers then us the link to get older version (68). I downloaded the administrator’s version and chose 32 bit to match my older laptop and 64 bit on my newest lap top (I have two different laptops with this issue). Be sure to copy the link into your Word doc before you delete the old version of GWSMO as you’ll not have access to outlook until you download version 68.

    This is what I did at the direction of Google and it worked perfectly…..see my earlier posts with the llink.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-06-15T05:48:23+00:00

    Google don't currently appear to have an intention for replace 4.3.73 version with an upgrade that fixes the contact sync issue, they are currently only rolling back the operative software to Version 4.3.68. Below is their instructions to me to resolve the issue. Have applied this to the computers we run and it worked fine. I used the 64-bit MSI version on our machines. Only issue, was that on one machine had to resync the contacts in a download from the google contacts.

    INSTRUCTIONS FROM GOOGLE:

    -> You can uninstall the 4.3.73 version via the Control Panel by navigating to:
    Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features,
    selecting Google Workspace Sync for Microsoft Outlook, and clicking Uninstall.

    -> Installing Version 4.3.68
    Then you can proceed to download and install version 4.3.68 using the following link by default it will download the 4.3.68 version.

    Our product engineering team has 100% rolled back the change. So, you can download the previous version (4.3.68) of GWSMO at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gssmo/# . 

    After installation, when you open Microsoft Outlook 2019:

    If your previous GWSMO profile is intact, Outlook should resume syncing automatically.

    If the sync does not start automatically, you need to recreate the profile by following the steps below:

    In the Start menu, click Google Workspace Sync -> Set up a Google Workspace Sync user.
    Enter your Google Account email address and click Continue.
    Enter your password and click Next.
    Click Allow to GWSMO access your Google Account. Click Create profile.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-06-21T16:02:55+00:00

    June 16 release notes from Google: Fixed an issue that caused version 4.3.73.0 to crash for some users while syncing contacts. Version 4.3.77.0 reverts to the Contacts API to sync contacts.

    On my PC, GSWMSO auto updated (I had not gone back to 68 prior version). I re-enabled Contacts synching that I had previously disabled to prevent crashing .My contacts re-loaded and Outlook seems stable/no crashing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-06-21T22:04:48+00:00

    Joanne,

    Thank you for posting. For those of us that went back to version 68, google had previously advised me that GSWMSO would not then subsequently auto update and I would need to manually update for any new version. Will check out the update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments