Classic Outlook with Google Sync has suddenly stopped working (as of June 2)

Anonymous
2025-06-03T11:17:51+00:00

As of yesterday, GSMO which I've been using (mostly) without issue for 8 years has stopped working. Outlook continually freezes and installing/uninstalling both apps is not working. I have a very mature work process within Outlook and using Gmail alone will not be able to match it. I have done some trash/old message clean up in Gmail to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions? Desperate here!

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-06-03T21:16:18+00:00

Had the exact same issue. Started today too (June 3rd 2025). Just before it started, when I opened outlook it wanted to do a authentication verification. It opened a chrome tab and I confirmed the login and rights. Right after that - within 5 seconds of opening outlook, outlook windows all close (silent crash) with no errors shown. I have a secondary outlook profile to an M365 mailbox that does not use google workplace sync and that profile still works normally.

I set my laptop to airplane mode, opened my normal outlook profile with GSMO. With airplane mode on, I could access the Google Workspace Sync icon on the taskbar, Turn Sync Modules on/off - deselect Google Contacts.

Turned airplane mode off again, Close and reopen outlook and email sync is fixed.

Looks pretty definite that google has a bug to fix here. Just gotta remember to recheck "Google Contacts" after their next update.

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-06-04T23:09:29+00:00

    I killed a LOT of brain cells on this yesterday and today with both Microsoft and Google tech support and the Google tech owned up to the problems with the new version of GWSMO. While I still can't synch my contacts, "airline" mode solution was brilliant. Here's the message that I just received from Google:

    "Google workspace synch stopped working with Outlook in Windows 11 24H2. After reviewing the information you provided, we believe that you may be affected by an issue we've become aware of: Using GWSMO version 4.3.73.0 causes the Outlook client to crash. Here are some details about the issue: The customer reported that while using the GWSMO version 4.3.73.0 with Windows 11 machines causes the Outlook client to crash.

    There's no workaround available at this time, but we'll let you know if we learn of one. Action Recommended: We are troubleshooting an issue with Outlook client crashing with the latest GWSMO v4.3.73.0. We recommend downgrading to the previous version here: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gssmo/# ****

    We are writing to inform you about an issue some users may be experiencing with the latest version of Google Workspace Sync for Microsoft Outlook (GWSMO) (version 4.3.73.0), where the Outlook client may unexpectedly close or crash, particularly on Windows 10 and 11 machines during contact synchronization. Our engineering teams are actively investigating the root cause of this issue, and this investigation is ongoing.

    In the meantime, we recommend that affected users revert to GWSMO version 4.3.68. You can download this version from our official GWSMO download page: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gssmo/#. All download links on that page point to the previous, stable version v4.3.68.0. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your patience as we work to resolve this situation. We will provide further updates as more information becomes available. Sincerely, The Google Workspace Team"

    BTW, I tried to do the rollback as they suggested with the provided link but it still doesn't work but maybe it's a rollback user error on my part......thought that their link would be a turn key solution :-(

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-06-04T17:34:23+00:00

    Same here .. Yesterday (June 3) everything worked fine.... TODAY, Google Workspace sync for Outlook (Classic) "re-sync" simply will not complete even though I have received some email in Outlook. And yet, when I log into my Gmail account through my 'preferred browser" (Firefox) and examine the inbox, I watched as it took over five minutes for a worthless email piece from Ebay to appear in Outlook (Classic) - which is my preferred email client and a part of my Office 2021 Pro installation. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING has been changed anywhere In my PC (since it was 'powered off' all night long after my normal 'working hours' ended at approximately 5:30 pm), and yet, today when I booted up, I had to verify that it was my account I was attempting to 'sync' with... And this happens altogether too often, IMHO, and SEEMS to be directly related to usage of Outlook Classic and Google Sync rather than the "new" Outlook - which I simply do not want to use, thank you very much... (Why? Well, I don't get the B.S. 'ads" in Outlook Classic that I DO receive in Outlook 'new'... Nah -TOTALLY unrelated, I'm sure....).

    Sometimes I just don't want to go to work just because I then have contend with this type of frustration... Hello..!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-06-04T12:32:07+00:00

    WORKED FOR ME!!!

    BIG THANKS :-).

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-06-04T07:27:20+00:00

    Great idea about Airplane mode!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments