Classic Outlook with Google Sync has suddenly stopped working (as of June 2)

Anonymous
2025-06-03T11:17:51+00:00

As of yesterday, GSMO which I've been using (mostly) without issue for 8 years has stopped working. Outlook continually freezes and installing/uninstalling both apps is not working. I have a very mature work process within Outlook and using Gmail alone will not be able to match it. I have done some trash/old message clean up in Gmail to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions? Desperate here!

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-06-03T21:16:18+00:00

Had the exact same issue. Started today too (June 3rd 2025). Just before it started, when I opened outlook it wanted to do a authentication verification. It opened a chrome tab and I confirmed the login and rights. Right after that - within 5 seconds of opening outlook, outlook windows all close (silent crash) with no errors shown. I have a secondary outlook profile to an M365 mailbox that does not use google workplace sync and that profile still works normally.

I set my laptop to airplane mode, opened my normal outlook profile with GSMO. With airplane mode on, I could access the Google Workspace Sync icon on the taskbar, Turn Sync Modules on/off - deselect Google Contacts.

Turned airplane mode off again, Close and reopen outlook and email sync is fixed.

Looks pretty definite that google has a bug to fix here. Just gotta remember to recheck "Google Contacts" after their next update.

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-06-05T20:51:23+00:00

    yes, we are facing same issue. as of now i gave tried few steps on different systems. you can try reinstalling software gsmo. it should work but if i does not then better to configure you r mail via imap not gsmo. outlook will get stable.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-06-05T14:11:57+00:00

    Had the exact same issue. Started today too (June 3rd 2025). Just before it started, when I opened outlook it wanted to do a authentication verification. It opened a chrome tab and I confirmed the login and rights. Right after that - within 5 seconds of opening outlook, outlook windows all close (silent crash) with no errors shown. I have a secondary outlook profile to an M365 mailbox that does not use google workplace sync and that profile still works normally.

    I set my laptop to airplane mode, opened my normal outlook profile with GSMO. With airplane mode on, I could access the Google Workspace Sync icon on the taskbar, Turn Sync Modules on/off - deselect Google Contacts.

    Turned airplane mode off again, Close and reopen outlook and email sync is fixed.

    Looks pretty definite that google has a bug to fix here. Just gotta remember to recheck "Google Contacts" after their next update.

    This absolutely corrected the issue. As stated, contacts won't sync until this is select again.

    Interestingly enough, this is listed as the ‘what’s new’ in this latest version: 4.3.73.0     https://support.google.com/a/answer/153463#zippy=%2Cwhats-new

    'GWSMO now uses the People API to sync contacts. This replaces the deprecated Contacts API.'

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-06-05T09:31:53+00:00

    Thank you for the mentioning of Google Contacts.

    FYI: I had to do the work for customers remotely, so I could not switch to Airplane mode.

    When Outlook starts, GoogleSync is being loaded to. You now have 30 seconds to right click the sync icon in the windows notification area to click on disable tasks: There you can disable 'Google Contacts'. If you close Outlook and restart Outlook the problem is gone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-06-05T06:13:27+00:00

    MAny thanks, I my productivity dropped quickly when the same thing happend to me and I had to try the new outlook. Your suggestion worked like a charm and got me back into my favored Outlook Classic on Google account.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments