Classic Outlook with Google Sync has suddenly stopped working (as of June 2)

Anonymous
2025-06-03T11:17:51+00:00

As of yesterday, GSMO which I've been using (mostly) without issue for 8 years has stopped working. Outlook continually freezes and installing/uninstalling both apps is not working. I have a very mature work process within Outlook and using Gmail alone will not be able to match it. I have done some trash/old message clean up in Gmail to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions? Desperate here!

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-06-03T21:16:18+00:00

Had the exact same issue. Started today too (June 3rd 2025). Just before it started, when I opened outlook it wanted to do a authentication verification. It opened a chrome tab and I confirmed the login and rights. Right after that - within 5 seconds of opening outlook, outlook windows all close (silent crash) with no errors shown. I have a secondary outlook profile to an M365 mailbox that does not use google workplace sync and that profile still works normally.

I set my laptop to airplane mode, opened my normal outlook profile with GSMO. With airplane mode on, I could access the Google Workspace Sync icon on the taskbar, Turn Sync Modules on/off - deselect Google Contacts.

Turned airplane mode off again, Close and reopen outlook and email sync is fixed.

Looks pretty definite that google has a bug to fix here. Just gotta remember to recheck "Google Contacts" after their next update.

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-06-06T07:15:41+00:00

    I'm not seeing how to download the older version from the page with all version history - what am I missing?! I can see all the versions but don't see anywhere that links to those versions for download.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-06-06T04:58:39+00:00

    Hi,

    google have just sent me an email update on my logged case. They still havent replicated found the problem and, ideally looking for logs to help identify root cause. Mean time, they offer the following instructions to help people switch off the contacts sync or roll-back. Some can live without sync'd contacts for a few days:

    "While we have not yet been able to replicate the crash in our local testing environment, we are actively working to identify the root cause. We are also exploring options to proactively offer users the previous stable release.

    In the meantime, to temporarily resolve this issue, you have two options:
    Turn off contact sync. This can be done by following these steps: [link to https://support.google.com/a/answer/1041455#sync]
    (Recommended) Uninstall version 4.3.73 and manually install the stable version 4.3.68. You can download version 4.3.68 from this link: [link to https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gssmo/#. ] Please note that after reinstalling 4.3.68, the auto-update feature will not reinstall version 4.3.73."

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-06-06T00:15:53+00:00

    Thank you, Mike! Thank you all. I thought I was losing my mind :p

    Rolling back to 4.3.6.8 has worked, and contacts/email are resynching, along with Outlook not crashing within 5 seconds.

    Best regards!

    Martin

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-06-05T21:46:25+00:00

    Good news, Google has fixed the problem with a rollback to a previous version 4.3.68. All you have to do is uninstall the old version, use the following details and link to reload GWSMO. I did it this morning and all is back to normal. Be sure to pick the right version; 32 or 64 bit. Here’s the Google email.

    <br> --- <br><br><br><br> <br> --- <br> --- <br> --- <br> --- <br> Thanks for the response. Our engineering team has developed and rolled out an update to resolve it. The update can take up to 24 hours to fully propagate. After this period, your synchronization should be working correctly.<br><br>Please uninstall the latest version of the tool and you can download the previous version (4.3.68) of GWSMO at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gssmo/#<br><br>If you continue to experience issues after 24 hours, please do not hesitate to reply to this email. I'll be happy to follow up with you and provide further assistance. Thank you for your patience and understanding.<br><br>If you have any further queries please reply back to this mail. I will be happy to assist you further. <br><br>Have a great day!<br><br>Sincerely,<br><br>Santosh Kumar 13:30 - 22:30 IST (UTC+5:50) <br>Google Workspace Support. <br> --- <br> ---

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments