Classic Outlook with Google Sync has suddenly stopped working (as of June 2)

Anonymous
2025-06-03T11:17:51+00:00

As of yesterday, GSMO which I've been using (mostly) without issue for 8 years has stopped working. Outlook continually freezes and installing/uninstalling both apps is not working. I have a very mature work process within Outlook and using Gmail alone will not be able to match it. I have done some trash/old message clean up in Gmail to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions? Desperate here!

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-06-03T21:16:18+00:00

Had the exact same issue. Started today too (June 3rd 2025). Just before it started, when I opened outlook it wanted to do a authentication verification. It opened a chrome tab and I confirmed the login and rights. Right after that - within 5 seconds of opening outlook, outlook windows all close (silent crash) with no errors shown. I have a secondary outlook profile to an M365 mailbox that does not use google workplace sync and that profile still works normally.

I set my laptop to airplane mode, opened my normal outlook profile with GSMO. With airplane mode on, I could access the Google Workspace Sync icon on the taskbar, Turn Sync Modules on/off - deselect Google Contacts.

Turned airplane mode off again, Close and reopen outlook and email sync is fixed.

Looks pretty definite that google has a bug to fix here. Just gotta remember to recheck "Google Contacts" after their next update.

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-06-06T14:35:51+00:00

    Thank you!

    The version I have is 4.3.68.0. Is that the correct version?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-06-06T14:00:49+00:00

    So I have the link, I see the old versions, what I don't have is a link to download the older version. If I click on the download button I just get an installer and it tells me no update is available. So I'm unclear how to download the 4.3.68 version.

    Also I've noticed the current 4.3.73 version is doing something weird with categories - emails with certain categories are now going into matching Outlook folders, which they didn't do before and which I don't want them to do. They're basically showing up twice and I have no idea which rule set is making them do that! New behavior for sure!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-06-06T13:50:59+00:00

    Here’s the email that I received from Google along with the link. Once I uninstalled the old version I used the link below and everything was back to normal. Make am sure to copy the link into your clip board first because you may not be able to open Outlook until you reinstall the rollback version of GWSMO.

    Thanks for the response. Our engineering team has developed and rolled out an update to resolve it. The update can take up to 24 hours to fully propagate. After this period, your synchronization should be working correctly.

    Please uninstall the latest version of the tool and you can download the previous version (4.3.68) of GWSMO at 

    https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gssmo/#

    If you continue to experience issues after 24 hours, please do not hesitate to reply to this email. I'll be happy to follow up with you and provide further assistance. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

    If you have any further queries please reply back to this mail. I will be happy to assist you further. 

    Have a great day!

    Sincerely,

    Santosh Kumar | 13:30 - 22:30 IST (UTC+5:50)

    Google Workspace Support.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-06-06T13:23:43+00:00

    Hello -

    Originally, I unchecked the contacts in Sync, and all the contacts I created in Outlook disappeared. Now I have uninstalled and reinstalled the new GSMO version, hoping that my Outlook contacts would come back, and unfortunately, they didn't. I had a lot of contacts that I created in Outlook. Does anyone know how I can retrieve those contacts?

    Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments