Classic Outlook with Google Sync has suddenly stopped working (as of June 2)

Anonymous
2025-06-03T11:17:51+00:00

As of yesterday, GSMO which I've been using (mostly) without issue for 8 years has stopped working. Outlook continually freezes and installing/uninstalling both apps is not working. I have a very mature work process within Outlook and using Gmail alone will not be able to match it. I have done some trash/old message clean up in Gmail to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions? Desperate here!

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-06-03T21:16:18+00:00

Had the exact same issue. Started today too (June 3rd 2025). Just before it started, when I opened outlook it wanted to do a authentication verification. It opened a chrome tab and I confirmed the login and rights. Right after that - within 5 seconds of opening outlook, outlook windows all close (silent crash) with no errors shown. I have a secondary outlook profile to an M365 mailbox that does not use google workplace sync and that profile still works normally.

I set my laptop to airplane mode, opened my normal outlook profile with GSMO. With airplane mode on, I could access the Google Workspace Sync icon on the taskbar, Turn Sync Modules on/off - deselect Google Contacts.

Turned airplane mode off again, Close and reopen outlook and email sync is fixed.

Looks pretty definite that google has a bug to fix here. Just gotta remember to recheck "Google Contacts" after their next update.

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-06-07T15:23:29+00:00

    Thank you!

    The version I have is 4.3.68.0. Is that the correct version?

    I have 4.3.73.0 and have the Contact syncing problem. Any way to monitor when Google has a release that they believe resolves the issue?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-06-07T15:19:44+00:00

    Great idea about Airplane mode!

    My issue was with a desktop connected to network, so airplane mode (which only disables wifi) didn't stop the syncing. I disconnected the desktop from the network, restarted Outlook and disabled Contact syncing as suggested above. Reconnected to the network, restarted Outlook, and all works (without, of course, Contacts syncing). Hope Google resolves the issue soon. I guess the answer in that regard is to monitor for an update and try again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-06-06T18:18:46+00:00

    I used the link that I sent in an earlier post and it downloaded auto. I tried the 64 bit version in a newer laptop and it worked perfectly but not on an older laptop. I used the 32 bit version for the older laptop and it loaded. It’s very easy. Also, I selected the “administrator” link which I think was the last one listed at the bottom. Remember, you have to uninstall the most current non working version first

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-06-06T14:43:15+00:00

    That's the one that doesn't have the error with contacts. I just don't know how to download *that* version from the links provided. Right now I'm suffering along without contacts.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments