Why all these dots instead of the spaces that were there & ¶ marks when I Reply to or Forward an email in my new Outlook in Office 2019 Pro+?

Anonymous
2025-05-09T01:51:07+00:00

This is crazy and surely there's an easy Settings fix. I've been using Outlook on my Windows PC since the early '90s. Just finally upgraded to Outlook in Office 2019 Pro+ from Outlook 2016. What the heck is Outlook doing by putting dots instead of all the spaces on emails as I'm Replying to them? More importantly, how do I stop it from this madness?

Here's an example:

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-06-23T21:01:22+00:00

    Can I have please have some help with this awful issue? I just recently finally upgraded from Office 2016 to 2019 and these formatting menaces appeared in my emails. I hate them and I don't ever want to see them again or need to turn them off manually every time I create, Reply to or Forward an email.

    This page ****documents/outlook/1414-outlook-turn-off-show-hide-formatting-marks.html#a2 that I found doesn't help me since I can't even figure out what they meant saying "1. In the new composing message window, click File > Options. See screenshot:" in the 2nd "Permanently turn off formatting marks or characters in Outlook" section. I've looked everywhere and can't even figure out what is meant by new composing message window. My Outlook 2019 doesn't have anything that looks like the image they posted.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-06-11T02:33:12+00:00

    Diane or someone, could you please tell me how to permanently stop the Formatting Marks from appearing in the body of my Outlook 2019 emails with an registry change using an Elevated Command Prompt box?

    I really don't ever want to need to keep hiding the things.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-05-21T06:17:48+00:00

    Diane, you'd said that there might be a registry thing I could do to permanently get rid of the Formatting Symbols in my Outlook emails, (maybe even in Word and Excel docs too?) Can you help me do that, please?
    I'm pretty sure I can live without them, just as I have the last 50 years or so. ;-)
    I've only done registry edits a few times and I know not to be careless. If there's any commands that can just be entered into an Elevated Command Prompt box, that would be how I think it would be better to do it.
    I just did some of those a few months ago to trick Microsoft into letting me upgrade this PC from Windows 10 to 11. I had help doing it over on the Macrium Reflect disc imaging forum. I use that program and someone taught me how to trick the Microsoft system into doing it for a machine that it had determined didn't specifically meet their upgrade requirements. It works fine on 11.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-05-21T05:42:23+00:00

    Diane, this is weird. If I send myself an email using my outlook.com email address from on my iPhone's Outlook for iOS, if I go to Reply or Forward it, it opens with those formatting marks all over it that I don't ever want to see and that no longer show up on other emails that I do the same with.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-05-20T05:59:34+00:00

    Diane, seems like it's behaving now and remembering that I don't want to see the formatting marks junk. Thanks for your help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments