Why all these dots instead of the spaces that were there & ¶ marks when I Reply to or Forward an email in my new Outlook in Office 2019 Pro+?

Anonymous
2025-05-09T01:51:07+00:00

This is crazy and surely there's an easy Settings fix. I've been using Outlook on my Windows PC since the early '90s. Just finally upgraded to Outlook in Office 2019 Pro+ from Outlook 2016. What the heck is Outlook doing by putting dots instead of all the spaces on emails as I'm Replying to them? More importantly, how do I stop it from this madness?

Here's an example:

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-06-25T15:46:22+00:00

    https://www.reddit.com/r/Outlook/comments/1492891/turn_off_paragraphs_markssymbols_in_outlook/

    1. if you're replying, open up your draft in a new window, or just click new mail so it pops out into its own window, then Ctrl + Shift + 8.

    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/2242318/outlook-keeps-showing-formatting-marks

    1. Did you try all the steps in the reply you got to your Q&A post?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-06-25T05:47:11+00:00

    Thanks Hornblower, but I've been through all that before while fighting this problem and they simply don't stop showing up. I hope you believe me. I just did it again, using the steps at the page you linked and once again, same result. I can turn them OFF for the email that I'm writing, but if I start creating another one, they're back.
    I can't believe that I'm the only person that not only doesn't want these junk things but whom these steps don't work. Why would that site say "Note: The options you select here will persist for all new email messages you create in Outlook, any replies or forwards you compose, and any text you type in the body of appointments, meetings, events, contact cards, and tasks." if that's simply not true? After all, it's an official support.microsoft.com website. You'd for sure think that it's accurate. I trust Microsoft on basically everything.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-06-24T15:34:20+00:00

    Turn specific formatting marks on or off section of

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/turn-formatting-marks-on-or-off-in-outlook-b166e811-d762-4f24-8328-d897cdace459

    The options you select here will persist for all new email messages you create in Outlook, any replies or forwards you compose, and any text you type in the body of appointments, meetings, events, contact cards, and tasks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-06-24T06:13:45+00:00

    Thanks. Is there any way to have that useless junk never show up? I'd prefer to never see it again in my life. I've lived just fine without it since the very beginning of home computers that ran on MS-DOS, not Windows or Apple's iOS. 🙄

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-06-24T00:24:06+00:00

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/turn-formatting-marks-on-or-off-in-outlook-b166e811-d762-4f24-8328-d897cdace459

    Note that the Format Text tab, in the Paragraph group will only be active when you have your cursor in the Body of a new email (i.e. Not in the "To:", "BCC:" etc.). For clicking on the pilcrow or using the shortcut CTRL+SHIFT+*. (You must use the asterisk on the 8 key.)

    The other option is given as: From a NEW email message, select File > Options > Mail. Compose messages, Editor Options > Display.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments