Why all these dots instead of the spaces that were there & ¶ marks when I Reply to or Forward an email in my new Outlook in Office 2019 Pro+?

Anonymous
2025-05-09T01:51:07+00:00

This is crazy and surely there's an easy Settings fix. I've been using Outlook on my Windows PC since the early '90s. Just finally upgraded to Outlook in Office 2019 Pro+ from Outlook 2016. What the heck is Outlook doing by putting dots instead of all the spaces on emails as I'm Replying to them? More importantly, how do I stop it from this madness?

Here's an example:

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-07-03T02:31:46+00:00

    Hi Diane. I'm still struggling with my Outlook 2019 showing these ¶ paragraph formatting marks. I turned them OFF by unchecking them all and clicking the bottom one to not Show All Formatting Marks, while I was writing an email at File > Options > Mail >Editor Options by clearing all of the check boxes, and they return on the next email that I write. I've read everywhere that they should stay OFF in all future emails if I do this. Is that not right about Outlook 2019 Pro+?

    I'm really struggling with this. I'm almost ready to just reinstall my Outlook 2016, that's how bummed I am. It worked fine.
    This is what I see, but when I go to write another email, the ¶s show up again and it's marked again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-07-03T00:42:42+00:00

    Thanks, Hornblower, but haven't you read here that I'm trying to set it so that I NEVER see those formatting marks, not just toggle them OFF on every email? That's been the issue from the very start. It's supposed to be possible (see the "Note:" at the bottom of the image in my June 25th Reply). I won't repeat what I've already posted here, but everywhere I've read, you're supposed to be able to set which ones you want to see in any Microsoft product or set it so that you never see any. I can't seem to get it to never see any.
    I am a completely computer literate, competent college grad. A successful lifetime small business owner that did all my own payroll and accounting on computer, that also drove in some NASCAR Winston West and Winston Cup racing, amongst other type national level racing. I know what I'm doing on most aspects. I'm also a computer lover since the way back days before Windows when my grade school taught us on a mainframe in weekly classes (probably MS-DOS).

    Please don't give up on me. This is driving me nuts. I don't mean to sound disrespectful in any way.

    Image

    .

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-07-02T16:36:35+00:00

    Compose a new email.

    Click in the body of the email.

    Type a few spaces and "X".

    Now do CTRL+SHIFT+8

    {Press and hold Ctrl and Shift, then the 8/* key on your main key. Not on the Num Pad}

    Do the formatting marks toggle on and off?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-07-02T05:56:54+00:00

    Thanks for your help, Hornblower, but this is tearing me up. Something is different about my Outlook 2019. Here's what your first link says I should see:

    and here's what mine is:

    As you can see, it only has few of the items, and it doesn't have "Display" as it's supposed to according to everything I've seen, including at your first link and by typing "Turn formatting marks on or off in Outlook" in the Help tab > Help box in the upper right in my Outlook 2019. Here's that:

    .

    I don't know what to do. I've considered just reinstalling my Outlook 2016 since it did everything I want without harassing me like this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-06-25T17:40:04+00:00

    Thanks for your reply Hornblower. I'll follow it and reply when I get home later to that computer. I want to assure you that I have followed every step that I've been given and all that I founf on my own before coming to Microsoft Answers to ask for help.

    I just need to say that I'm a very successful lifelong business owner who has been doing my business' computing setup and accounting my whole life and I'm now retired and 66..

    I owned & ran the nation's leading manufacturer of spun aluminum wheels for racing go-karts in southern California for 22 years starting in '85, then a real estate franchise that I earned my California real estate broker's license to run. I set up a smsll computer network there myself with a server.

    In college at Purdue Univ. in Lafayette. Indiana, in the late '70s, I took classes on Basic, Fortran and Cobol programming.

    I'm saying all this to assure you that I'm a hard working, successful, somewhat tech savvy guy, not some ninny.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments