Why all these dots instead of the spaces that were there & ¶ marks when I Reply to or Forward an email in my new Outlook in Office 2019 Pro+?

Anonymous
2025-05-09T01:51:07+00:00

This is crazy and surely there's an easy Settings fix. I've been using Outlook on my Windows PC since the early '90s. Just finally upgraded to Outlook in Office 2019 Pro+ from Outlook 2016. What the heck is Outlook doing by putting dots instead of all the spaces on emails as I'm Replying to them? More importantly, how do I stop it from this madness?

Here's an example:

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-05-09T03:11:32+00:00

    Hi Jeff,

    You have Outlook showing all the hidden formatting marks. Ctrl+Shift+8 to toggle them or click the pilcrow icon (similar to a backwards P) on the Format Text tab to toggle them off.

    Let me know how it goes, I'm here to help you further if needed.

    -- Diane

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-05-09T03:06:56+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments