Using classic Outlook for Windows in business environments
It is reproducible. Two of us in this chat can reproduce it by opening a message or a folder. That's the experience of the OP, and it's my experience.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
The vertical scroll bar on the far right of my Outlook.com window keeps jumping to the bottom of the screen whenever I click on one of my folders or an email. Then I can't see the ribbon above my emails. I push the scroll bar back to the top, but as soon as I click on a folder again, it jumps back to the bottom of the screen. It happens whether my zoom is at 100% or higher. I tried the repair option and restarting. I contacted Outlook Support and after 40 minutes, they said it's how Outlook is designed and can't be fixed. But it wasn't always this way and just started jumping. I see there was a related issue that was fixed in Feb 2025: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/issue-with-the-inbox-scrolling-bar/ce34dda6-7f02-4222-8c44-62b2d2ea485d
I am using a laptop. The issue is present in Chrome and Edge.
Using classic Outlook for Windows in business environments
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
It is reproducible. Two of us in this chat can reproduce it by opening a message or a folder. That's the experience of the OP, and it's my experience.
OK that's good. On my platform, the defect behaves differently. After a clean boot, without running my Outlook client, the scroll wheel started to misbehave after a few minutes of using Acrobat. Anyway: if you can reproduce the defect immediately after launching only Outlook after a full restart, I hope you'll take the time required to use the in-app defect reporting system in your Outlook client (assuming it has this feature). In my current build (in which I'm still avoiding the use of the "new Outlook" interface, as I'm tired of retraining my wetware to cope with novel requirements of software ;-), the in-app reporting is in the menu bar as a "Contact Support" button.
My current workaround *attempt* is to fiddle with the detailed mouse settings, getting a bit of joy in Acrobat by setting it to scroll only one line at a time. However the scroll wheel is still misbehaving badly in Firefox. I can't see any easy way to disable the wheel but AFAIK there aren't any UIs I'm using where it's absolutely required... and I now think of my mouse's wheel as an "attractive nuisance" which I'd have to retrain my wetware to avoid using!
I'm now using a USB mouse. After about 1 hour of use, I have yet to see it exhibit the scrolling defect that was increasingly-frequent in my bluetooth mouse.
I dunno yet whether it's a hardware issue, or a software one (due to the difference between the driver-stack in a USB vs a bluetooth connection to a mouse). I'm thinking it's most-likely a hardware fault; anyway on my round-to-it list is to purchase another bluetooth mouse. I'll post my findings here.
Mice are not 100% reliable!
Well, that's funny you say that. I bought a new mouse, but not for hardware issues but because I dropped and cracked mine. But, if it were the mouse, then everyone who has this issue starting in mid May would have to have replaced their mouse.
I have been using a mouse on my chromebook. I disconnected the mouse, rebooted - the issue still exists.
Thinking out loud - is this scrolling issue related to the Outlook version that has ads. Are those that have the Outlook without ads having the same issue?