Vertical scroll bar keeps jumping to the bottom of the screen

Anonymous
2025-05-24T23:57:43+00:00

The vertical scroll bar on the far right of my Outlook.com window keeps jumping to the bottom of the screen whenever I click on one of my folders or an email. Then I can't see the ribbon above my emails. I push the scroll bar back to the top, but as soon as I click on a folder again, it jumps back to the bottom of the screen. It happens whether my zoom is at 100% or higher. I tried the repair option and restarting. I contacted Outlook Support and after 40 minutes, they said it's how Outlook is designed and can't be fixed. But it wasn't always this way and just started jumping. I see there was a related issue that was fixed in Feb 2025: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/issue-with-the-inbox-scrolling-bar/ce34dda6-7f02-4222-8c44-62b2d2ea485d

I am using a laptop. The issue is present in Chrome and Edge.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-05-25T16:19:12+00:00

    Yes I tried clearing the cache and history, no luck. The scroll bar works fine with other websites. Here is the screen shot. This shows it while I clicked on my Sent folder, but it happens when clicking on any folder (and when initially logging into Outlook).

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-05-25T03:56:46+00:00

    Sorry, your screenshot didn't show up in the thread.

    That url is for Outlook on the web, not classic Outlook, so my previous instructions won't work, neither will the instructions in the link you posted. (This is the classic Outlook forum.)

    And no, that is not how Outlook on the web works.

    Does the scroll bar misbehave if you log into a private browser window?

    Did you clear the browser cache and cookies?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-05-25T03:36:05+00:00

    That information didn't seem to help or wasn't relevant. And I don't know where registry keys are to update them.

    You asked if in browser or classic Outlook. I had attached a screen print of my mailbox with the url visible. I log in to https://outlook.live.com/mail/0/

    I normally used Chrome but the issue also exists when using Edge.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-05-25T01:46:06+00:00

    Hi, I'm Diane and I'm happy to help you today.

    Is this happening the browser or in classic Outlook?

    Microsoft has two known issues with scrolling - both are fixed though.

    https://support.microsoft.com/office/classic-ou...

    https://support.microsoft.com/office/classic-ou...

    You could try setting the registry keys in this article to see if it helps, but if not, please delete the keys.

    https://support.microsoft.com/office/outlook-20...

    Let me know how it goes, I'm here to help you further if needed.

    -- Diane

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments