Vertical scroll bar keeps jumping to the bottom of the screen

Anonymous
2025-05-24T23:57:43+00:00

The vertical scroll bar on the far right of my Outlook.com window keeps jumping to the bottom of the screen whenever I click on one of my folders or an email. Then I can't see the ribbon above my emails. I push the scroll bar back to the top, but as soon as I click on a folder again, it jumps back to the bottom of the screen. It happens whether my zoom is at 100% or higher. I tried the repair option and restarting. I contacted Outlook Support and after 40 minutes, they said it's how Outlook is designed and can't be fixed. But it wasn't always this way and just started jumping. I see there was a related issue that was fixed in Feb 2025: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/issue-with-the-inbox-scrolling-bar/ce34dda6-7f02-4222-8c44-62b2d2ea485d

I am using a laptop. The issue is present in Chrome and Edge.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-06-16T15:38:11+00:00

    Helpful reply at a curiosity level. I wish we would get some MS help at an operational level. Anyway, thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-06-16T14:54:37+00:00

    Well that's funny. I'm using (hotmail, outlook) live online and linux operating system. What ever they call it now. It was working fine until mid May 2025. I can assure you that it is not microsoft operating system, it is coding on the the live itself.

    So, what ever update or reinvented happened in May, that's what has created this problem. And in this forum are just the users we know of. Others may be trying to blame it on themselves to fix the problem. It is just a sorry situation.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-06-16T08:43:19+00:00

    I too am having this trouble. My best guess is that an occasional mouse-scroll signal is being sent to some process which *isn't* supposed to be receiving these signals (because it's not the owner of the currently active window). Closing all other windows seems to be a workaround but I'm not sure it's 100%. Rebooting the OS also seems to be sufficient but the problem arises again.

    My best guess is that on *my* platform, the scroll-signalling issue started with an installation on the 12th of June of "2025-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 24H2 for x64-based Systems". The update record links to June 10, 2025—KB5060842 (OS Build 26100.4349): https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/june-10-2025-kb5060842-os-build-26100-4349-47ff300b-2a04-440c-9476-2860d04fce8d

    Microsoft Update currently informs me of what is *probably* a later version of "2025-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 24H2 for x64-based Systems". Searching online, I found an MS website which helpfully provides a catalog. Quite possibly what's on offer to me is an 11th of June out-of-band versioning of this update:

    https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=cumulative%20update%20for%20windows%2011%20version%2024H2%20x64%20based%20systems

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/june-11-2025-kb5063060-os-build-26100-4351-out-of-band-b1746442-8c6c-425d-ac5a-3a8f51e372f3

    However this update is offered to me without a link (or even a KB number) to inform me of what I would be agreeing to "Download & Install", if I dared to click on that affordance! And the 11th June version was apparently released to fix some fatal problem with some other app causing Windows to restart. Its file listing (in CSV format) has a bazillion dlls... so I guess it might resolve my mouse-scroll issue.

    My best guess is that this update is mucking around in what we used to call "DLL hell".

    If so, then things could get easily worse rather than better if I try installing the 11th June version of the 2025-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 24H2 for x64-based systems! So... I think I'll wait a few more days for more folks to do the alpha-testing on the current version of this update. Early reports are sour, and furthermore others have been complaining of mouse-scrolling issues for months on *their* Windows installation. As always, YMMV. There are bazillions of different constellations of drivers, and of versions of apps, in our Windows installations... I'm sure glad I'm not working QA in Windows, I'd surely go crazy trying to build and maintain a test suite with reasonable coverage of these!

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2025-06-cumulative-update-for-windows-11-version/926844f7-3670-4be2-88f4-db5e247bf8fc

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2025-06-cumulative-update-for-windows-11-version/926844f7-3670-4be2-88f4-db5e247bf8fcAnd

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-06-10T21:19:26+00:00

    There was not a real fix. This is not a user issue. This was microsoft error or update or bug. Whatever. If they had a recent update around mid May that is when it happened, especially if it changed settings. Half of the resolutions from others give menus not in my outlook. I use it online. Not in the computer as windows all in one don't fit all.

    It is nothing to do with ads, nothing to do with full inboxes, nothing to do with anything the user did. It is a microsoft issue. Like many have reported, it happened mid May. If it isn't fixed, I surely cannot run this inbox like this. You can't clean it when the ribbon goes away. Having to scroll back up to get the ribbon back, is a setback in tecnology.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-06-10T16:08:44+00:00

    Add me to the 14 or 15 others complaining about this exact problem. Lots of complaints, few replies. One early reply attributed the behavior to the size of an ad. I don't have any ads.

    Please fix this!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments