Outlook email keeps prompting for a password, and then not accept it. Blocked out of emails.

Anonymous
2025-01-23T06:50:57+00:00

Why does my Outlook email keep asking for a password, and then not accept it. This started today with a pop up window, and now after several restarts and password entries my Outlook will not open at all, so I cannot copy and paste the error message. Something seems to have changed since earlier in the day. I am using Outlook (not new, in Microsoft 365).

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-01-23T18:20:09+00:00

    Hello, here is what I have:

    1. Comcast, via Outlook
    2. Personal
    3. Microsoft 365, updated
    4. IMAP

    Thanks for looking into this. I noticed the glitch started about the same time I opened the new MS Pilot. Coincidence?

    (Note, I cannot send a screenshot of the popup because now the Office email app will not even open when I click on it. This was after entering the password several time yesterday which it never did accept (have checked and confirmed the password). I am really locked out. It opened briefly last nite and loaded some emails, now its gone dark again. On a second computer it never did load any emails).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-01-23T10:01:33+00:00

    Dear DRL5606

    Welcome to Microsoft Community.

    According to the content of your description, you have been prompting the problem of wrong password when using Outlook, right?

    I would like to confirm something about your problem:

    1. What is the mailbox extension you are using? (Outlook/Hotmail, Gamil, Yahoo)
    2. Is your mailbox for company/school use or personal use?
    3. What is the version of Office associated with Outlook that you are using? (Office2021, 2019, etc.)

    4.What is the method by which your mailbox is configured? (POP/IMAP, etc.)

    Since you have provided so little information, in order to be able to help you solve your problem, please let me know what you are inquiring about above as well as a screenshot of the problem you are having so that I can get an accurate picture of your problem.

    Feel free to text back if you need further help.

    Best wishes

    Chris.S-MSFT | Microsoft Community Support Specialist

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments