Outlook email keeps prompting for a password, and then not accept it. Blocked out of emails.

Anonymous
2025-01-23T06:50:57+00:00

Why does my Outlook email keep asking for a password, and then not accept it. This started today with a pop up window, and now after several restarts and password entries my Outlook will not open at all, so I cannot copy and paste the error message. Something seems to have changed since earlier in the day. I am using Outlook (not new, in Microsoft 365).

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-04-29T23:23:21+00:00

    Make sure the Identity key is selected on the left column of Registry Editor. Next, in the Right column, right-click and hover on New, then click on DWORD (32-bit) Value.

    1. Replace the highlighted blue 'New Value #1' text with EnableADAL. ----- Press Enter, or mouse click outside of the text area.
    2. Double-click your new EnableADAL key to open an 'Edit DWORD (32-bit) Value' window.
    3. Change Base to Decimal
    4. Set the Value data: to 1
    5. Click OK

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-04-29T23:11:13+00:00

    "EnableADAL" does not exist in my registry.

    What now?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-04-29T23:06:18+00:00

    I do not have an option or anything that says "EnableADAL"

    My location is:

    Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Identity

    Then I have these registry items:

    (Default)

    Canary

    ConnectedAccountCID

    ConnectedOneAuthAccountid

    SignedOutOneAuthMigrationComplete

    TrustedSiteUrlForUserAgentVersionInfo

    Version

    Then I have five subfolders in the Identity folder, and 19 sub-subfolders in the five subfolders. None are named anything close to "EnableADAL"

    Again, I have been away from this PC for many months. How on earth is MicroSoft not better-managing this problem that seems to be affecting EVERYONE who uses Outlook with multiple emails?

    BOOOOOOOOOOO.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  5. Anonymous
    2025-04-29T22:47:56+00:00

    I have the SAME PROBLEM, and it DID start when "Co-Pilot" went live.

    I have 12 email accounts loaded into Outlook. I'm locked out of at least one of my accounts, the second that tried to load yesterday after I was out of the country and away from my desktop PC for 4 months, but I can't get past the blank screen that should let me reset the email's password (AGAIN). I have no idea how many of my emails are unusable.

    Computers. The great time savers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments