Using classic Outlook for Windows in business environments
- .msn
- Personal use
- Microsoft® Outlook® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2503 Build 16.0.18623.20178) 32-bit
- I don't know the POP or IMAP configuration
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Why does my Outlook email keep asking for a password, and then not accept it. This started today with a pop up window, and now after several restarts and password entries my Outlook will not open at all, so I cannot copy and paste the error message. Something seems to have changed since earlier in the day. I am using Outlook (not new, in Microsoft 365).
Using classic Outlook for Windows in business environments
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Have you tried looking for the "EnableADAL" value at the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Identity in the registry editor? If it exists, you should set its data to "1".
Why does my Outlook email keep asking for a password, and then not accept it. This started 3 weeks ago with a pop up window, and now after several restarts and password entries my Outlook will not open at all, so I cannot copy and paste the error message. in the day. I am using Outlook (not new, in 365.
I spoke too soon. The "Send NTLMv2 response only" policy no longer works. I'm back at the same state with Exchange Server and Outlook. However, I noticed the Exchange servers started to issue NETLOGON event 5719 the time of the failure indicating they cannot communicate with a domain controller. Once this event is logged, DCOM events are also logged related to contacting the other Exchange servers. Restarting the NETLOGON service does not fix the issue as the event is continued to be raised. Microsoft has acknowledged there is some issue with Windows Server 2025 domain controllers in another case I have open, but the workaround they provided me for that case does not work here (resetting the computer machine password with reset-computermachinepassword).
This is a real annoyance!!!
You might want to create a new thread and ask that question again, as that support specialist was asking the original poster for that information.