I think my Microsoft account has been hacked.

Reported
Anonymous
2025-01-01T08:06:06+00:00

I think my Microsoft account has been hacked.My Microsoft account email and password have changed. What do I do?

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Don Varnau 19,930 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-01-12T18:27:18+00:00

    >And today I found a draft in my inbox and it looks like I wrote it but I didn’t, it’s a threat.


    Sandra Geuze wrote:

    dit heb ik ook ! ben helemaal bang ervan

    From Dutch:

    I have this too! I'm totally scared of it

    This is a very common scam known as the bitcoin scam, sextortion scam, extortion scam and other names.

    Don't contact the scammer. Don't pay anything.

    If the message is not in your Sent folder (it won't be) it was not sent from your account. Your account was not hacked. No spyware programs were installed. The scammer simply put your address in the Sender field.

    Delete the message and any similar messages you receive in the future.

    More:

    How to keep your Microsoft account safe and secure https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-billing/how-to-help-keep-your-microsoft-account-safe-and-secure-628538c2-7006-33bb-5ef4-c917657362b9

    Verify that you have a very strong password https://www.security.org/how-secure-is-my-password/

    and/or are using Two step verification. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-billing/how-to-use-two-step-verification-with-your-microsoft-account-c7910146-672f-01e9-50a0-93b4585e7eb4

    Don

    0 comments No comments
  2. Don Varnau 19,930 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-01-12T18:22:11+00:00

    Jasleen Kaur5 wrote:

    Hi, I hope that whoever is reading my message is doing well. i just wanted to say that I am unable to receive any codes to recover my microsoft account, and I have not done anything that violates the code of conduct of my account.

    Troubleshooting verification code issues https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-billing/troubleshooting-verification-code-issues-409090c4-92b5-42b9-8ae6-bcc97e62fc48

    Don

    0 comments No comments
  3. Don Varnau 19,930 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-01-12T18:18:49+00:00

    Lasse Birk wrote:

    Hi, Every time I have to send a confirmation code to my email, it is sent to an email that I do not know. If you could change the the mail to my own mail it would be great.

    Your account has been hijacked/stolen.

    How to recover a hacked or compromised Microsoft account https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-billing/how-to-recover-a-hacked-or-compromised-microsoft-account-24ca907d-bcdf-a44b-4656-47f0cd89c245

    Don

    0 comments No comments
  4. Don Varnau 19,930 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-01-12T18:16:48+00:00

    Estoy notando que estaba llegando correos de códigos de seguridad de otros países y yo vivo en Ecuador y me siento inseguro por mis datos personales

    I am noticing that I was receiving emails with security codes from other countries and I live in Ecuador and I feel insecure about my personal data

    = = = = =

    This is very common. Anyone who knows the address can try to login to your account.

    Verify that you are using a strong password and/or are using two step verification.

    How secure is my password

    https://www.security.org/how-secure-is-my-password/

    How to use two-step verification with your Microsoft account

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-billing/how-to-use-two-step-verification-with-your-microsoft-account-c7910146-672f-01e9-50a0-93b4585e7eb4 

    How to keep your Microsoft account safe and secure

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-billing/how-to-help-keep-your-microsoft-account-safe-and-secure-628538c2-7006-33bb-5ef4-c917657362b9

    If there are enough of these login attempts that you really want to prevent them, this article tells how to do that. https://www.outlook-tips.net/tips/keeping-hackers-microsoft-accounts/ 

    Don

    0 comments No comments
  5. Don Varnau 19,930 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-01-12T18:14:39+00:00

    Jorge Murillo2 wrote:

    Necesito ayuda, mi cuenta fue robada.

    How to recover a hacked or compromised Microsoft account https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-billing/how-to-recover-a-hacked-or-compromised-microsoft-account-24ca907d-bcdf-a44b-4656-47f0cd89c245

    Don

    0 comments No comments