Why does Outlook no longer show the original URL on hovering over a link in an email message?

Anonymous
2024-06-01T03:42:17+00:00

Starting in 2019 sometime, Windows Outlook began showing the original URL on hovering over a link in an email message.

Before that, it had only shown the rewritten safelinks version, which is very difficult to read and not at all helpful to someone who's trying to check what's behind that link's display text.

This was a vast improvement, and these days it is essential to be able to quckly check links if people are to have a chance of avoiding phishing traps.

It's particularly important for those users (probably the majority) who wouldn't understand the safelinks URL, and might well assume it's safe because it's a microsoft.com link.

Sadly, though, some time within the last few months my Outlook 365 has reverted to showing the unreadable safelinks URL in both the hover popup and the status bar at the bottom of the Outlook window. I currently have Windows Outlook Version 2404 Build 16.0.17531.20152 Click-to-run.

The safelinks service is good, but there will always be malicious links that get past it, and people need to be able to decide whether or not to click on a link by seeing the actual URL it would go to, not simply assume that safelinks will take care of it.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-08-13T14:32:02+00:00

    I, too, have been struggling with the "New" Outlook not showing URLs when hovering over the links. I echo most of your comments about security concerns and how we've trained our employees to check links before clicking.

    As a workaround I found the web version of Outlook - https://outlook.office.com shows the URL when you hover. I believe the web version of Outlook is nearly identical in features to the "New Outlook," so this might be an option for some of you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-08-13T14:53:32+00:00

    I have just submitted this issue via the support button in the New Outlook. As Microsoft don't seem to be monitoring this thread, if others wouldn't mind submitting this issue via the Support button as well, I think that would definitely help push things along a bit.

    To do this, just click 'Help' on the top ribbon, then click Support. You can then type a brief description (don't need to submit a dump file or record the screen) and then submit this to Microsoft. Hopefully the more that report this, the more it will highlight the issue to Microsoft.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-08-13T15:10:06+00:00

    Ticket was just opened with MS. Want to bet on how long it will take to get a response?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-08-13T16:21:02+00:00

    Thanks! I wouldn't like to even guess! I'd just be happy with a reply from Microsoft acknowledging that it's an issue that they'll try and sort soon :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-08-14T12:41:13+00:00

    I've now heard back from Microsoft Support - It's not good news. They've said:

    "I understand that you wanted to view the URL at the bottom of new Outlook when hovered over it, we have an update from the team that this is by design in the new Outlook.As this is an develop stage of the new Outlook, therefore not all functionality from classic Outlook for Windows is available yet. we are working on adding more aspects in the future builds of new Outlook such as this based on the queries/feedback shared by new Outlook’s users."

    Seems to literally go against user training and awareness programs where you tell staff to try and spot phishing/malicious URL's and not click on them. We won't be rolling out the use of New Outlook whilst it's like this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments