Using classic Outlook for Windows in business environments
Hallelujah! Thank you @eQuipped2000 - I tested the New Outlook and I, too, have URL hovering capabilities. I have asked my team to do further testing, but this looks promising.
-Spencer
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Starting in 2019 sometime, Windows Outlook began showing the original URL on hovering over a link in an email message.
Before that, it had only shown the rewritten safelinks version, which is very difficult to read and not at all helpful to someone who's trying to check what's behind that link's display text.
This was a vast improvement, and these days it is essential to be able to quckly check links if people are to have a chance of avoiding phishing traps.
It's particularly important for those users (probably the majority) who wouldn't understand the safelinks URL, and might well assume it's safe because it's a microsoft.com link.
Sadly, though, some time within the last few months my Outlook 365 has reverted to showing the unreadable safelinks URL in both the hover popup and the status bar at the bottom of the Outlook window. I currently have Windows Outlook Version 2404 Build 16.0.17531.20152 Click-to-run.
The safelinks service is good, but there will always be malicious links that get past it, and people need to be able to decide whether or not to click on a link by seeing the actual URL it would go to, not simply assume that safelinks will take care of it.
Has anyone else noticed this?
Using classic Outlook for Windows in business environments
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hallelujah! Thank you @eQuipped2000 - I tested the New Outlook and I, too, have URL hovering capabilities. I have asked my team to do further testing, but this looks promising.
-Spencer
This most recent build of Outlook App is now showing full URL's for me again... with their smartscreen hide URL junk disabled.
You have Microsoft Outlook Version 1.2024.1107.100 (Production). Client Version is 20241108003.30.WebView2 Version is 130.0.2849.80.
So I can at least see full URLs again and use my intelligence V's their incompetence....
BUG LINK:
FOUND HERE:
The ROADMAP for production is here:
But no specific space for the New Outlook App (just the mobile version).
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=Outlook
Hopefully they roll out and resolve soon.....
Just now after almost 6 months of silence, no feedback, bug is fixed.
Tested on 1.2024.1107.100.
I just tried to recheck facts:
May be google/bing is also totally broken?
New Outlook team must be some guerila guys who programs secretlu in nights to keep product out of horizons of MS management?
Turning it on or off has no effect