In new Outlook, emails stay in the outbox even though they've been sent.

Anonymous
2024-06-24T14:54:26+00:00

In the new Outlook, when a user sends an email, it will go to the Outbox and stay there, but it still gets sent to the end user. I checked the original Outlook to see if it's in the outbox there, and it's not, nor is it anywhere else, it just seems to be the new Outlook. If I delete the email, it comes back within 5 seconds and it's started doing it sporadically for other emails. None of the emails that are doing it share anything in common, some have attachments, some do not, some are sent to multiple people, some are not. I can see no issues in the health centre either so I'm scratching my head a bit on this one.

Things I have done so far:

Opened/closed Outlook

Restarted PC

Ran Windows and Office Updates

Reinstalled Office

Tried a new mail profile

Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-01-17T13:20:42+00:00

    Hello, I noticed an email I had just sent was stuck in the Outbox. Failing to find a Send button, I tapped on the email and it was sent on its eay. Hope this works next time.

    Have you noticed that as Microsoft adds layer upon layer of new capability to their apps they become harder to use and less reliable?

    Good luck

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-07-09T13:04:02+00:00

    Thank you Peter. I owe you coffee! That worked for me. I had given up after trying all other suggested methods to clear a stuck email message I had for weeks in Outbox, but simply moving it to Deleted Items did the trick for me. Usually, what happened was after deleting it using all other methods, the message will reappear in Outbox after closing and reopening Outlook. However, with your suggestion, it has not returned after closing/reopening Outlook.

    For all it's worth, all other messages I had been sending for the past few weeks have been sent normally. It was only that one message that became stuck in Outbox, so I just moved that one message to Deleted Items and saw it was gone from Outbox. Then, I closed Outlook and reopened and it has not returned to Outbox. I will keep my fingers crossed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-07-01T15:44:24+00:00

    Does sending also "stick" for you? Late or no delivery of emails?

    Smartest thing for me to do right now is use Google since it actually works.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-06-30T22:03:02+00:00

    Sme problem except now it says "your request can't be completed right now" instead of showing the emails in the Outbox,

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-06-27T15:46:57+00:00

    I tried disabling Viva Insight add-in but unfortunately that did not help. I still have a message in the Outbox in Outlook (New). I even right-clicked on the Outbox and selected Empty Folder from the menu. Even though it appears to delete emails from the Outbox, next time you open Outlook the message is back in the Outbox. I also tried to Repair and Reset the Outlook app one more time after disabling the Viva Insight, but the message is still there. This is a nasty bug.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments