Restart recommended We detected that your session has unusually high memory - New Outlook

Anonymous
2024-10-10T12:37:46+00:00

New outlook feels sluggish, after a few minutes and then after a minute or two a message popup "Restart recommended We detected that your session has unusually high memory". Restart and it works again for a few minutes. feels like a bug or memoryleak. After updates applied today. (Fully updates system)

Running classic outlook solves the problem, but just a heads up. If no one has a fix :)

1.2024.1002.100 (Production)
Klientversion is 20240927008.14.

WebView2-versionen er 129.0.2792.79.

Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

52 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-10-10T14:40:22+00:00

    I am not in Europe, and I am also having this exact issue this morning. My Outlook desktop app for Windows 11 (new Outlook) updated itself and has repeatedly given this error since. I am in the USA on an enterprise Office 365 account.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-10-10T14:04:11+00:00

    Hello Martin,

    Good day! Thank you for reaching out to the community.

    It seems you're experiencing performance issues in New Outlook, with high memory usage leading to sluggishness and a restart prompt. I want to let you know that Microsoft is aware of a known issue affecting some users in Europe.

    Known Issue Details

    • Title: Some users in Europe may encounter performance issues with their Outlook client.
    • User Impact: Users may notice Outlook using an increased amount of resources, causing the client to freeze or crash.
    • Current Status: Microsoft is investigating telemetry logs and service diagnostics to identify the root cause and is developing a remediation plan. They have recycled components to reduce timeout errors, and further updates are expected soon.

    If you believe your case may be related to this, feel free to update your issue accordingly.

    Workaround

    While Microsoft works on resolving this, switching to Classic Outlook has proven to be a temporary fix for many users. You can continue using this as a reliable option in the meantime.

    The next update on this issue is expected by Thursday, October 10, 2024, at 1:30 PM UTC.

    If you have any further questions or need assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out. We appreciate your patience during this time!

    Thank you for your patience as Microsoft continues to work on improving the performance of New Outlook.

    Please understand that our initial response may not always resolve the issue immediately. However, with your help and more detailed information, we can work together to find a solution.

    Appreciate your patience and understanding and thank you for your time and cooperation. Have a great day!

    Let me know how it goes! Thank you for being part of the Microsoft Community.

    Sincerely,

    Microsoft Community Moderator

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-10-10T13:32:11+00:00

    I can confirm that I am also having this issue as well.

    I rebooted once and the problem went away for a few minutes then I got an alert again. I ended up using OWA or/and mobile app.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-10-10T15:45:18+00:00

    I found Microsoft has this as an Active issue they're working on:

    Issue ID MO907654:
    Some users may encounter performance issues with their Outlook client

    Issue ID: MO907654

    Affected services: Exchange Online, Microsoft 365 suite

    Status: Service degradation

    Issue type: Incident

    Start time: Oct 10, 2024, 4:59 AM EDT

    User impact

    Users may encounter performance issues with their Outlook client.

    More info

    Users may notice Outlook using an increased amount of system resources, causing the client to freeze or crash.

    Scope of impact

    Impact is specific to some users who are served through the affected infrastructure.

    Current status

    Oct 10, 2024, 11:27 AM EDT

    Our investigation remains focused on isolating the source of a potential memory management issue which may be responsible for causing impact. We're working directly with some impacted organizations and are replicating the issue internally to generate additional data to further our efforts toward mitigation.

    Next update by:

    Thursday, October 10, 2024 at 12:30 PM EDT

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-10-10T13:51:28+00:00

    I had the same issue. Even after a restart Outlook was using over 2.5 GB of memory and not responding. I went to Outlook Web Access, deleted a few thousand messages from folders that keep status updates, alerts and such and emptied my deleted items folder. I restarted Outlook again and now it's using about 450 MB. It looks like maybe it's trying to keep all messages in memory.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments