Unable to add Gmail to Outlook (Classic)

Anonymous
2024-09-26T15:49:59+00:00

When I try to add my Gmail account to Outlook I get "We couldn't log on to the incoming (POP/IMAP) server. Please check your email address and password and try again."

The new Outlook works fine, as does regular Outlook on my other computer. Something wrong on this one.

James Smith

Arlington, TX

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-10-15T16:23:13+00:00

    Okay this did not work either.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2024-10-15T20:43:52+00:00

    Gabriel, thank you for the replies. I opened an elevated command prompt and ran the officec2client.exe program as instructed. The program ran but at the end it threw the following error, I had to reinstall office. I tried a second time and it threw the same error and I had to reinstall office. Basically I cannot down grade.

    I tried to add the gmail account again, the problem persists.

    I noticed an option to install 32bit version and was wondering if the problem is in the 64bit build only.

    Thanks again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-10-15T21:01:05+00:00

    Daryl,

    I suspect the revert issue is probably with Office 2024. It's not showing earlier builds on the release channel so we might not be able to revert Office 2024.

    Also, I was working on this issue further today, and I got to root cause. I am trying to find a simpler solution.

    The root cause is that when you added the Gmail account originally you missed this checkbox below. I have not found a simple way to get back to that checkbox to check it. I posted the minimal steps I could come up with below. I asked Outlook dev for suggestions, and I will report back if I get something easier.

    Image

    Here is the workaround I have for now:

    Workaround:

    1. Close Outlook
    2. Delete the google_imap entries in Credential Manager
    3. Open Regedit
    4. Go to path: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Identity\Identities
    5. Delete the key immediately under Identities that has the EmailAddress as your Gmail address
    6. Open Outlook to the Profile with the Gmail account and click the Browser Sign In and make sure to check the box for Microsoft apps & services. Or, add your Gmail account to the profile if its not already in an Outlook Profile.

    Image

    Image

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments