Using classic Outlook for Windows in business environments
Hi all,
Here is the official guidance and workaround, Unable to add a Gmail account to classic Outlook - Microsoft Support. Please let me know if any issues or questions.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
When I try to add my Gmail account to Outlook I get "We couldn't log on to the incoming (POP/IMAP) server. Please check your email address and password and try again."
The new Outlook works fine, as does regular Outlook on my other computer. Something wrong on this one.
James Smith
Arlington, TX
Using classic Outlook for Windows in business environments
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hi all,
Here is the official guidance and workaround, Unable to add a Gmail account to classic Outlook - Microsoft Support. Please let me know if any issues or questions.
Hi, JamesSmith_863
Welcome to Microsoft Community.
I realize that you've encountered a problem when adding Gmail account to Classic Outlook for Windows, sorry you're experiencing this issue.
Typically, when you configure your Gmail mailbox, it will jump directly to the window where you can login to Gmail and verify your account, and after you click on the permissions, you can add Gmail to your outlook.
For details, please refer to this page: Add a Gmail account to Outlook for Windows - Microsoft Support
We recommend that you try the following methods:
1.This issue can occur if you don't have two-step verification and IMAP for Gmail turned on,
You can do this by going to your Gmail settings, clicking on the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" tab, and then selecting "Enable IMAP".
It is recommended that you turn on two-step verification and create an application password for outlook
Turn on 2-Step Verification - Computer - Google Account Help
(Disclaimer: Microsoft provides no assurances and/or warranties, implied or otherwise, and is not responsible for the information you receive from the third-party linked sites, or any support related to technology.)
2. Try adding your Gmail account to Outlook using the manual setup option.
In Outlook application, go to File > Add Account > Manual setup or additional server types > choose IMAP. Then, enter your Gmail account information and the following server settings:
Incoming mail server: imap.gmail.com
Outgoing mail server: smtp.gmail.com
Username: your full Gmail email address
Password: Your independent application password set after turning on two-step verification
Once done, go to More settings > Outgoing Server tab, click My outgoing server SMTP requires authentication
Go to Advanced then use the following Server port numbers:
Incoming server IMAP 993
Use the following type of encrypted connection SSL
Outgoing server SMTP 465
Use the following type of encrypted connection SSL
3. Create new Outlook profile:
4.Check your network environment to make sure your network is clean and that no proxies or other connections are open.
Thank you for your cooperation and please let me know how it goes!
Best Regards,
Cece | Microsoft Community Support Specialist
I have the same issue. I even blew away my entire computer and reset to try to get around this. I already have 2 step verification. I've gone through several new laptops last month trying to find what I wanted to keep and have had no issues, suddenly yesterday doing a clean install on my new Surface Pro 11 I hit this. It goes all through the 2 step procedure and I even get the prompt to check my phone and using the google authenticator say that yes, it was me, then I get the same error.
So it's not a google setting anywhere otherwise it wouldn't have worked fine until I had to do a reinstall yesterday (and again today). Manual setup doesn't make a difference either. I wonder if something is broken somewhere. So for the time being I just have to use the web for gmail and will try randomly over the next week or two and see if at some point someone fixed something and it simply starts to work again.
Thanks but I have tried all of these without success.
What build is your Outlook (click File, Office Account, under About Outlook)?
When you add the account do you get redirected to the browser sign in page? The new browser sign in is in the builds mentioned on this page, Unable to sign in or add a Gmail account to classic Outlook - Microsoft Support. If it is related to this and you are not getting the redirected browser sign in try setting Chrome as your default browser to do the sign in.
Also, make sure you are adding the account by clicking File, Add account. The mail applet in the control panel does not support modern auth that Outlook uses for Gmail.
If the suggestion above does not help, please create a new Outlook Profile and add your accounts to it, Create an Outlook profile - Microsoft Support.