Unable to add Gmail to Outlook (Classic)

Anonymous
2024-09-26T15:49:59+00:00

When I try to add my Gmail account to Outlook I get "We couldn't log on to the incoming (POP/IMAP) server. Please check your email address and password and try again."

The new Outlook works fine, as does regular Outlook on my other computer. Something wrong on this one.

James Smith

Arlington, TX

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-10-14T17:15:23+00:00

    I have done everything I have read to do with no luck. It's a outlook/microsoft issue!! I installed Mozilla Thunderbird and added my gmail account with no issues at all, not one. Went back to Outlook 2024 only to have it continue to give me the finger. Why does outlook(new) work and everything else is broken. Microsoft, get your act together and fix this issue.

    --me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-10-12T00:02:26+00:00

    I'm not getting as far as the browser sign in. It errors out before the web page comes up.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-10-11T16:30:32+00:00

    James, All,

    We got some In App support tickets with this issue and our escalation engineers are investigating. From what they see in the logs so far they suspect it is an issue with the browser sign in. After you add the Gmail account and sign in with the browser do you get the dialog below and check the box to Read, compose, and send? This is a requirement to be able to add the account. If you test again please let me know what step you get to before adding the account fails.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-10-10T18:22:30+00:00

    James,

    What build is your Outlook? What error do you get?

    Before the new browser sign in experience released, I saw some users were able to work around the issue by making Chrome their default browser and signing into the Gmail account in Chrome. Try their suggestions in the last four posts in this forum thread, "Google Couldn't sign you in. This browser or app may not be secure. - Microsoft Community.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments