Unable to add Gmail to Outlook (Classic)

Anonymous
2024-09-26T15:49:59+00:00

When I try to add my Gmail account to Outlook I get "We couldn't log on to the incoming (POP/IMAP) server. Please check your email address and password and try again."

The new Outlook works fine, as does regular Outlook on my other computer. Something wrong on this one.

James Smith

Arlington, TX

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-10-16T22:04:34+00:00

    I think I might have found the simplest way to mitigate the issue. Keep in mind that the root cause is because this checkbox in the image below was missed.

    Workaround: Go to the Google sign in page from this URL and sign in again making sure to check that box below: Sign in - Google Accounts. The issue should be resolved in a minute or so after Outlook picks up the change.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-10-16T14:57:07+00:00

    Thanks for sharing the update, Daryl. I am drafting a Known Issue article and will get it posted today with some cleaner steps.

    @James, if your Gmail account is still not working can you please try the steps I drafted for the Known Issue article and let me know if you see any issues with the steps, Add a Gmail account. I shared in a Word Document in that folder. If any feedback, please let me know.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-10-15T22:20:27+00:00

    Gabriel, that did the trick. I was able to add the account. Hopefully I am not premature but it seems to be working. I am going through everything now.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-10-15T21:01:05+00:00

    Daryl,

    I suspect the revert issue is probably with Office 2024. It's not showing earlier builds on the release channel so we might not be able to revert Office 2024.

    Also, I was working on this issue further today, and I got to root cause. I am trying to find a simpler solution.

    The root cause is that when you added the Gmail account originally you missed this checkbox below. I have not found a simple way to get back to that checkbox to check it. I posted the minimal steps I could come up with below. I asked Outlook dev for suggestions, and I will report back if I get something easier.

    Image

    Here is the workaround I have for now:

    Workaround:

    1. Close Outlook
    2. Delete the google_imap entries in Credential Manager
    3. Open Regedit
    4. Go to path: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Identity\Identities
    5. Delete the key immediately under Identities that has the EmailAddress as your Gmail address
    6. Open Outlook to the Profile with the Gmail account and click the Browser Sign In and make sure to check the box for Microsoft apps & services. Or, add your Gmail account to the profile if its not already in an Outlook Profile.

    Image

    Image

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments